• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colonial Virginia lock or round faced English

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWsaddles

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am wanting to build a smooth rifle from a chambers kit and was wondering about lock differences between the colonial Virginia and the round faced English . What are your opinions on both and by that I mean the pan and frizzen styles pros and cons and things such as that. Any info is appreciated

Allen

If you are referring to the Chambers Locks of those names, they are identical aside from the fact that the English lock has a border around the plate. They are interchangalbe.

Some folks like this border relief around the lock and thinks it dresses it up and they may be right. I choose the Virginia over the English as the border is a pain to work around when cleaning up and polishing the lock....it is easy to mess it up.

Good luck with your choice and Enjoy, J.D.

One is supposed to have a flanged water proof pan the other just a flat pan, I like the look of the bordered lock but have no experience with "water proof pans" .

Ah, yes, the waterproof pan. I forgot about that. It's just a raised lip around the top of the pan with a recess in the pan cover to receive it. Nice feature, but not necessary.

If you go to Track of the Wolf's site they show the inside of the lock in view #2 and you can see it clearly.

Here, you can compare the two inside and out:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/732/1

Enjoy, J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. That helps .The inside view gives me an idea how it would look and fits together.

I have had the English Lock on a couple of guns and like it a lot. It is a fine lock for sure.

They are both a pain to take apart because of the "hidden" sear spring screw. :/ I've had a few of them and ground the bridle back so I could take the sear spring off without a lot of cussing.

I have a Colonial Va lock on my 54 and it is very reliable. I would think on a smooth rifle that the plainer lock would be more appropriate and certainly easier to polish. Haveing said that I have one of the Roundface English locks for a future fowler project and really one would work as good as the other.

Back