• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rifle for Bob Roller Twigg Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SR James

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to recently acquire a Bob Roller, Twigg flintlock, number 7 of 10. My dilema is what to build around it? I know Twigg was known for his fowlers and pistols, but I am interested in building a rifle. Doesn't have to be a Twigg type rifle, just something appropriate for this lock. Any suggestions are welcome.

Lucky you James!!!! Mr. Rollers locks are the acme, and the Twigg is one of the smoothest in design, the best of both worlds! There are many guns that could host that lock, but for me it would be an English game gun, or sporting rifle in either half or full stock, English Walnut of course! :hatsoff:
Robby

You got lucky there as his production is very limited and he says many of his locks go to Germany.

Your options are practically limitless. Many American longrifles used this type of lock after the revolution into the late flint period.

Enjoy the quest, J.D.

A twigg is kind of large for a long rifle. I have one and I'm going to build a English Sporting rifle out of it. 58 cal.

Pardon my ignorance but are you guys talking about original Twigg locks or repros ?

My understanding is that Bob Roller built these using external parts from R.E. Davis and internal parts of his own design. Not sure about your tumbler question but the sear is not held by the usual screw through the bridle but by a combination of a pin where the screw normally is and a screw and post below the sear, all captured by the bridle. This is an incredible lock.
If you mean does the mainspring connect to the tumbler via a stirrup, yes.

jerry huddleston said:
A twigg is kind of large for a long rifle....
Only an 1/8" taller and 3/8" longer than the Siler. Not all that big. Would look great on a Berks County gun....but I'm longrifle biased.

English sporting guns just don't interest me. :wink:

Enjoy, J.D.

Regarding English halfstocks, I built the rifle below a few years ago. It has a swamped 31" barrel because my understanding is that such rifles usually had swamped or tapered barrels. I have seen original halfstock folwers with octagon to round barrels that were also swamped.
My question is, did English halfstock rifles ever have octagon to round barrels or were they only used on fowlers? If o-r barrels were used for rifles, were they tapered or swamped?

MyEnglish13.jpg

Latest posts

Back