• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Deer with PRB.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric M

40 Cal.
Reaction score
First I want to say thanks to everyone who offered their advice on hunting with the PRB when I was questioning it. Yesterday was opening day of muzzleloader season in New Jersey and I was in the stand all day. The last 15 minutes I can see a buck coming my way and he is walking a trail that would put him approximately 60 yards from me. Well my shot was where it needed to be and I heard him crash not far from where I shot him. Got down and had a great blood trail. He maybe went 50 yards. Turned out to be a nice 8 point buck with a big body. 70 grains of 2F and a .530 roundball did the trick. I have been playing with the pics trying to get them up. Thanks again.

Good shootin' can't to see the pics. You do know that it did'nt happen without pictures to back up the story ,right? :wink:

That's fantastic...the PRB really is an effective projectile for sure, and the .54cal is an excellent size for whitetails in east coast woods.
Congratulations !
:hatsoff:

So are you saying 70grs FF powder behind a .530 patched ball will actually kill a deer?????? :hmm:

Congrats!!! :thumbsup:

You better believe it does. Probably one of the fastest kills I have ever had.

Nice! I can't wait to see the pictures. I'm jealous of you guys who still get to hunt. All I've got left is small game.

get-attachment-1aspx.jpg

get-attachment-2aspx.jpg

Not the best photos but I got him a last light.

Nice going! Good lookin' deer. Feels pretty good to shoot 'em with an "old" smoke pole, don't it?

I believe ya now! That right there is a BIG deer! It should fill a freezer just fine. :thumbsup:

Back