• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn Care

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have never, and I mean NEVER given a second's thought to treating any of my powder horns with any kind of protective finish or just a plain "enhanced" finish (i.e.shiny!).

So how bout it? Anybody out there treat their horns in any way?

I rub mine down with a light coat of BLO every year or so. Just alittle oil rubbed into them with my fingers like I do with some of my gunstocks.

I understand that keeping powder in them keeps the horn eating bugs away. I never considered putting anything on them.

Many Klatch

I use Bag Balm on all of my powder horns (antique and new). It is made up of mostly natural lanolin. Good stuff!

I use a product called Renissance Wax on my horns. I put a light coat on them maybe once a year. I also use it on everything else. It is great on the barrel, stock, ram rod, etc. of all my guns. It is what museums use on their displays to protect them. Some fine furniture stores may have it or you can order it from most of the muzzleloading suppliers such as Track of The Wolf, Dixie Gun Works, etc. It's a bit pricy but a jar of it will last a loooong time.

Source for that?Use to get it off a local furniture refinisher since closed down.

Anybody heard of wiping a horn down with cedar oil to keep the bugs from eating them?

I use Mineral Oil on my horns and antlered knives and anything made from bone. In other words, if it was alive at one time, it gets MO once a year or whenever it appears to be dry.

I have brought back some horns that have started to flake and seperate from being so dry.

These items have to be treated at one time or another or you may eventually lose them. Deer antlers become very brittle over time and I suspect that bone will do the same if not treated.

I hope this helps...

James

The fellow that made my horns insists that I use whale oil on them.

WB

Not to hijack, but I've been looking to make my own powder horn. But I can't find any videos on YouTube or anywhere else on the interweb to watch. I've read all the tutorials, and stepxsteps, and how-to's. But I like to get a visual on things from time to time. Plus, it gives me something to do during a little down time at work. Thanks guys.

Back