• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wood working vise

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eldo

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am starting a new gun and would like to know what is the best vise to buy, to hold the stock. I would like to know what kind and where to order one. Thank you for your help. Eldo

I have yet to find a GOOD tool at Harbor Freight, cheap yes,good no. Sometimes our choices are rather limited though. Good specialty stuff available on line. We happen to have a great hardware store devoted to woodcrafters in our area. You can easily see you get what you pay for there.

The woodworkers' vises I am familiar with are meant to bolt under the bench with the top edge at bench level. Now that doesn't mean they can't be bolted higher but unless you much shorter or your bench much higher than average your work will be too low requiring you to bend over to do much of the work.

The ideal height for most is between elbow and nipple height for maximum comfort, i.e. not stooping or bending the neck.

Additionally, when clamped in a wood workers vise the stock is always parallel to the bench face and this is not ideal for working on a gun.

For gun work you want your bench and vise as secure and heavy as possible. You will be unbreaching barrels, pounding on things, etc. You don't want your bench or work moving.

I suggest a vise like this as it has all the attributes you should look for in a vise: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/t..._-3485&ci_sku=3485&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

The base rotates 360 degrees and the head/jaws swivel 360 degrees so you can possition your work at any angle. It is heavy. Make some removable wood jaws that rest on the shaft and it won't mar your work. You can unbreech a barrel in it no problem. As a bonus, it has a large, flat anvil surface.

Mine is on my bench mounted on MDF layered to 3" to get the height up and that is secured with tow heavy "C"-clamps....it does not move.

I have other vises that I use for lighter work if there's a gun in this vise but this is really all you need.

I am sure you will get many differing opinions. A good vise can be a major investment so choose wisely or you will end up owning several before you are done. I went through several before I saw somebody working with this type. With it set at proper height, I am fatigued less and can work longer and am not sore when I am done as I am not stooping and am not fighting a less substantial vise.

Enjoy, J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have two like it though not that brand. More than one person I know have gotten that one and had problems....others loved it. If you go that route check it out thoroughly as soon as you get it. There was a thread about it on the ALR.

This vise is fine for light work. It is more of a "holder" or "work positioner" than a vise. You can't do heavy work with it like unbreeching barrels or knocking big hunks of wood off with a hammer and gouge....it's even a little light for draw filing and the like. In other words, if you lay out money for this vise you are going to have to have another or heavy work.

Before I moved to the set up above I used one of these on the bench and had to run out to the garage to do any heavy stuff on a 6" bench vise. I sit have it though and use it for holding small stuff or when cleaning guns.

Member Mitch "tallbear" Yates has a really neat "turret" type vise....maybe he'll post a picture. The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't swivel....and the fact that it's not made any more....and they've been going for $150-$200+ used hard on e-bay.

Enjoy, J.D.

Hi Eldo,
My preference is for what is called a "pattern maker's" vise. Do an internet search for that term and you should find examples for sale. They have replaceable jaws, which can be made of wood,and they pivot. They do not tilt, however, I've never needed that feature.

dave

I too like the pattern makers vise. I line the jaws with heavy belt type leather; I just crazy glue it to the wood jaw inserts and trim to flat with an exact-o knife.

I have one set in the corner of my L shaped bench, then another to the right leg and a 5" mechanics vise on the front corner of the left leg (then I can work from bench end or front side). The drill press sets on the floor to the left of the mechanics vise and can be used to support extended pcs. from the drills x/y vise.

The right vise can be adjusted from about 48" from the center vise or brought closer by moving to another hole in the bench top.

I find I then can use the center vise to hold a stock while say riveting a muzzle cap in place.
I also find that supporting the rifle in the center allows me to work on smaller pieces in which ever of the other two vises is best suited. The rifle can also be rested on its butt and the muzzle end held in the center vise.

I found the two pattern makers vises on close out years back (about $100 for the pair) and picked up the mechanics vise at a local Farm Fleet

Thank you for all the information. I found one I liked on ebay. It is a guitar makers vise. Looks like just what I want. Again thanks alot. Eldo

I have one like JD's 1st post here....I replaced the steel jaws with walnut jaw pieces.....I use the heck outta it!

if you can get a pattern makers' vise for under two hundred bucks, BUY IT!

i just checked the Highland Woodwork catalog- they're up to three hundred dollars... should bought one a while ago!

:doh:

The pattern maker's vises they are talking about aren't pattern maker's vises as they are know historically....they are a luthier's vise with swiveling jaws. Pull up their link. They run about $150 give or take.

Here's the link to the pattern maker's vise you are referring to for others to see what we're talking about: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/patternmakerswoodworkingvise.aspx

Enjoy, J.D.

I use two vices most of the time when building a rifle. They are about 3' apart. One is a 6" Wilton from Lowes & it is heavy enough to do breechplugs & etc. Have leather screwed down to the jaws so I can flip it off & use the steel jaws as well.

DSC00183.jpg

The other is a Parrot Vice ( on sale at Woodcrafts $39.95) similar to the Wade vice link, the offset was made by Jerry Crawford & it works well.(I think I paid Jerry ? $ 35. for the offset)

Dsc09326.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

The parrot vice I have teflon liners on each side with leather flipped over them. I don't like working with one vice as I always feel the rifle is insecure, especially if I have to clamp at the lock inlet area when close to finished. I have built probably over 50 rifles on these two vices....

One thing I will point out that I feel is important, regardless of what vice you use. Put an extension off the bench & get the jaws out over the bench edge. This way you can put something vertical in the vice & the bench not be in the way.

DSC00188.jpg

When doing breechplugs, I just have a set of sheet brass liners I lay on the jaws & it works well.

Dsc09529.jpg

Here is another handy lil item I made. Cut a square hole in the workbench, made a adjustable part out of 2 pieces of square tubing with a locking screw, added a roller on top. I use this when drilling the lockplate screws & tang screws & etc. Supports the front of the rifle any place I desire in height.

ForestockSupportRoller.jpg

There, now you can see the mess I have when I build one.

Keith Lisle

Latest posts

Back