• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

weighing RB's worth it

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damron

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I decided to see if it really mattered.

Target on right balls weighed within .5g or better

Target on left balls drilled in one or two spots to remove 2g-6g.

Groups at 50 yards with a 1-32 twist 50 caliber Lyman and 70g G-O.Groups are not the best the rifle has produced but a fair average.

If weighing balls makes you feel good do it.For average factory guns its seems to be a waste of time to try yo get them within a grain. I now will drill a couple straight though to see what happens.

George

PICT2203.jpg

Yeah, weighing is always under contention.
But when one seeks groups at 50yrds that are one hole, all variables need to be considered.
Weighing ball eliminates one of those variables so if there is a problem you know it's something else.
For some target shooter it matters, for hunting accuracy and plinking or for those that don't care it doesn't matter.
This is a 50yrd 5 shot group;

scan0001-4.jpg

I agree. The average guy doesn't need one whole groups or even care as long as he gets reasonable accuracy. But it that's his thing, to each his own and more power to him.

As long as I can get the rounds all in the black at 50-55 yards I am good. One hole groups seem like such a pipe dream for me that I don't even bother to attempt it.
(My targets are either 50 yard smallbore rifle targets or standard size playing cards if I am feeling sharp that day.)

The point is don't blame that 3"-4" 50 yard group on balls not being exactly the same weight.I have shot many "one hole" groups with balls that were not weighed.The group before and the group after the "one hole'er" is the real indicator of average accuracy anyhow.

George

That is my average group.
If it wasn't I'd be looking for a problem,,
These are about half the trophies, the rest and the racks are in the garage.

HPIM0698.jpg

the picture is two years old, there is more stuff there now.

I am judged by my peers an awarded accordingly.
I've nothing to prove here.
Most of my targets are kept by score keepers or tossed, I happen to have kept that one with it's gun
(A CVA Mountain Rifle) because I rarley shoot that one, there is more specific patch/lube and mold data on a section of that same target that's not visible in the photo.
Oh and that's an 1 1/2" circle.

If you don't feel the need to weigh ball, then don't.
My coach and mentor explained carefully why it matters and it's works for me.
I for one prefer those that shoot in competition with me to not weigh their ball.

I'd like to say that I don't worry about it for hunting or plinking, but I don't plink at stuff, I shoot them. I weigh my cast ball as a matter of procedure now, it's just what I do, so the ball I use for hunting are weighed, :idunno:

George, Care to speculate on what joeb would say about two 5-shot groups? :wink: For plinking and hunting, it probably doesn't matter, but for match shooting, as mentioned in an earlier post, it eliminates another variable (or excuse).

true two groups are not the end all test.I rarely weigh my 30 caliber and 22 caliber match bullets and am in the money quite a bit of the time in the Cast Bullet Association the matches i run or compete in.Most of the top shots that beat me dont weigh bullets either

I intend to test this more and i will report back if the long term matches these first groups.

Joe B has other opinions as well.I take Ed Harris's take on things a bit more seriously.

George

Just an observation without intent towards any individual,

Generally when someone has an agenda to prove or disprove, they go to great length to find data and sources to promote just that agenda.

That's why blind and double blind tests are done, it allows the participants to form conclusions without bias.

I've learned along time ago to not attempt to compare CF loading to ML and round ball at all, I mean I can change the load characteristics of trad ml just with a ramrod and seating pressure,,
I can change the load of CF with just a single grain of powder,,

Good luck on your quest George, keep an open mind and continue working on that group.

Hint: It's all about the bore condition and the other variables.

Weighing my cast balls showed me I had problems with my casting technique, I had a weight spread of several grains.
Allthough all the balls look perfect there was a void inside almost every one I had 17 % success rate in casting balls that were within + - .5 grain.
Now I'm casting with an 83% success rate.
I want to be able to blame only my own shooting skill on loose groups and not on miss matched off weight out of ballence balls. With all the variables that come into play while shootng, I can be confedent my balls are the best the can be.

Interesting.
I'm in the process now of trying to get the most out of a gun I've had no success with.
I'm applying Dutch Schultz's methods.
First thing I did was weigh balls. Group shrunk, more important was how it shrunk.
I'm documenting everything I do, should have everything figured out in a week or so and will post my findings.
But so far my findings are the difference between weighed balls within .1 gr and balls with a spread of 1.6 gr shows on the target and the chronograph.

Back