• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pre-measured reloads or reloading from horns or flasks ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When hunting do you carry extra pre-measured rounds or do you reload from a flask or horn? My smooth bore is primarily used for small game hunting. My hunting pouch has a wooden block drilled out to take paper cartridges. The block has two rows of 6 holes drilled in it. One row is for paper cartridges loaded with powder and one row for paper wrapped #5 shot. The wads are in separate pockets on the pouch. I don't carry a flask or horn but do use a small priming flask.
I find this set up good especially for those spur of the moment grab your gun-n-go after work hunts.

Sound like an efficient way to get it done, and more importantly, its what 'you' want to.
My level of interest is mainly oriented towards the firearm itself, not so much accoutrements like bags and horns...just carry a few spare pre-measured powder charges and a pocket pan primer

I just carry a small pouch with a shot bag, small horn, powder measure and brass primer with 4F.
Also have an old altoids box with wads, cards and extra flints. Bag is always loaded and ready to go.

When using round ball, I use my horn and 70 grain charger to measure out the powder. When hunting with my trade gun or caplock SxS and shot, I do what you do..., I have 70 grains of 3Fg in paper cartridges, good book quality paper, tear, pour, and then ram the empty paper tube down to form the wad. Then I load 3/4 ounce of 7½ shot, in a paper cartridge made of newsprint. I gently seat this on top of the paper wad. Makes for a quick reload and does very well on squirrels, pheasants, and chukkar.

LD

I carry pre-measured loads in one pocket. In the other pocket I carry RB and patching.
When shooting shot, I carry pre-loads of powder and shot in my bag. Plus something sweet to eat during the hunt.

I too am making paper tubes to make cartridges with. I find it better than a horn or flask.

Not saying I won't use a horn again, of course I will but just of late the cartridges are ok :hatsoff:

Brits.

Always the same , wheather I'm hunting, plinking,shooting competition, whatever with pistol, rifle, smoothbore, shotgun, whatever. A horn, a pouch, a gun. I was taught that way when I was about 5 or 6, now I'm 80 and stuck in my ways.
Deadeye

Deadeye said:
Always the same , wheather I'm hunting, plinking,shooting competition, whatever with pistol, rifle, smoothbore, shotgun, whatever. A horn, a pouch, a gun. I was taught that way when I was about 5 or 6, now I'm 80 and stuck in my ways.
Deadeye

...me too also :thumbsup: ...with little less experience :wink:

Having done Rev War reenacting, I like cartridges so I drilled a few holes in some wood and wrapped leather over it to create a cheap cartridge box. The photo was made before attaching the sidewalls or strap to the box.

Being cheap, I was using brown paper grocery bags to make shot cartridges for various siutations. I also used homemade shot pouches with copper tubing necks to facilitate pouring the shot for loading in the field.

ShotHolders.jpg

Mostly, especially in the deer and turkey woods, I carry 3 or 4 balls (or shot loads) in a ball bag, separate prelubed patches and premeasured powder charges in a small shoulder bag. Don't need the whole get-up but I like the feeling of having the hunting bag with me.

For small game where often more shots are presented, I carry the bag, horn, and prelubed patches/wads and a bullet bag of ammo.

carry a small bag and it hold the bal extra flints and one of those CVA/tradition brass flask witha measure spout and flash pan primer on leather strap around the neck
i do carry when hunint few paper cartiage's tear poor and load readyif i have to make a second shot off quicker

I have always prefered loading from bag and horn when hunting, never been to concerned about reloading fast so loose ball/wadding or patch and powder horn work well for me. I am more into trying to duplicate the experience as it was done in the past than finding any easier or faster method.If I used a military gun I would likely use pre made cartridges.

I do pretty much as Hanshi does, and would only add that the weather conditions are also important to me in deciding how I carry my powder.

Years ago I lost a priming horn in the woods on a woods walk, and never found it. Since then, I have more cautious about IF and WHERE I carry my powder horns. I also have had my share of troubles with brush and bramble grabbing at straps and gear on the way to and back from hunting stands. When field hunting for birds-dove or pheasants-- this is much less a problem, and the weather is usually nicer.

Finally, over the years, I have eliminated much more "Stuff" I use to carry into the field, and most of the time, a few pre-loads, a ball block, and a small priming horn, in a shirt pocket, get the job done. The rest of the stuff for cleaning is carried in pockets.

The last time I carried everything in a ouch and both horns was at a club shooting match that required it. My knees have not let me even THINK about doing a "Seneca Run" in 20 years, but I have used the shoulder bag, and horns on "Hunter's Walks". :thumbsup:

I carry and use a horn and pouch. If hunting with shot a shot flask is added. I have used per-measured loads but it just did not suet me. if a muzzle-loader is in my hands a horn is over my shoulder. If hunting with a old shotgun be it pinfire or center. i carry a bag as well. shells, lunch you name it. plus it gives me something to hang the birds on or rabbits.

the trail walk i did today shooting only targets i carried just the bare bones
prime horn main flask balls one extra flint(not needed)and some cotton rag for patching and balls and one cleaning brush (again not needed but just in case of fowling issues
my buddies made fun of me for carring such a light load but at the end of the day i think that way to go

When you've loaded from the pouch & horn enough
it becomes automatic, like tying your shoes, you don't even think about it your hands just do it.
Deadeye

Latest posts

Back