• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cylinder fillers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have trouble buying grits?!?! In what kind of weird place could this be true?? :haha: :haha:

You can buy a 50 pound bag of chicken grit at any feed mill in the country

I suppose cracked corn might be too :doh: course

I'm new to BP revolvers, so this may not be everyone's rationale.

I have two reasons. I do not use maximum loads, and I use a little bit of filler to take up some of the space so the ball moves closer to the end of the cylinder than it would be with just powder. I do not use wads, and my theory is that a non-combustible substance (like grits :grin: ) can act as a 'insulator' to help prevent chain fires. I personally actually don't think chain fires are caused by hot gas getting around the ball, I think they're poor cap fit, but it seems like a good idea. I tried the Crisco over the ball idea (also tried pure beeswax) but that was pretty messy, and since I'm using the filler anyway for spacing, I think it should solve the same problem (if it exists) as the Crisco.

Just as a counterpoint, Squirrel has a good argument for use of filler. And I normally use COW. However, I always grease the chamber mouths, not to prevent chain fires, but so there is lube sliding down the bore before the ball and fouling contact the bore. I have shot over 100 shots in an afternoon with my ROA, and no cleaning necessary or binding up encountered during the whole afternoon.

Crisco is messy. Now a plea for help. For years I have been using Pistol Patch, a grease from Blue and Gray Products intended for cap and ball guns. I am on my last two tubes of the stuff. It comes in plastic tubes like tub caulk, and it is about the same consistency as fresh squeezed out caulk, except it never gets hard and doesn't dry out. I found one supplier and the price is quite high. Anybody know what the stuff really is? I'm sure Blue and Gray just bought large drums of the stuff and re-packaged it. BTW, I highly recommend the stuff, just not at $7.00 dollars a half pint.

Incidentally when I first started, the recommended grease to use was the special grease sold for repacking automobile water pumps.

I wonder if you used instant oatmeal if the loading would go faster :stir:

Never saw the need for fillers :idunno: don't like them in my hotdogs and I don't like them in my guns.

The real reason (or so I believe) for lubrication over the ball is to keep the powder fouling soft. If you don't you can actually lock up a cylinder... It did take a half a coffee can full of balls and a half pound of powder to do it... but it can be done. :slap:

trucker,

Beats the heck out of me too. Corn meal,grits,coffe ? I think they are shooting their breakfast :rotf: :rotf:

nilo

I took my son to the pistol line in Friendship and set him up to shoot the ROA and when i pulled out the cornmeal and crisco he said are you going to eat it or shoot it LMAO!!!
I had never thought about it till he made that remark!!!!

Latest posts

Back