• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No drop zone.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the quarries around here are U shaped with the opening at your back. The most logical place for wind to come in at. I guess his must totally block the wind.

Could be though. I've been to more than one quarry gun range and they were usually in quarrys that were dug into a ridge or simular formation so that they were more like box canyons....open at one end.

Wind protection could indicate lack of cross winds which is what most shooters are concerned with as they are hardest to deal with.

Shooting into the box with your back facing the open end you could still have a tailing wind giving the bullet more lift.

Rifleman1776????

Enjoy, J.D.

You know, I experienced the same thing shooting at a clubs range. In this case, the range sloped away down-hill. Once I stopped any kind of hold-over I was hitting the metal silouettes every time out to a little beyond 100yds.

Well, I read though all of the various answers and almost choked on all of the smoke :bull: that was being blown up your...uh....anal sphincter, and I agree with Apprenticebuilder that the most likely of the serious explanations is a difference in the lighting on your sights. The light could be changed by being reflected off the walls of the quarry. Now, I've got to get out of here before I choke on all of the smoke being blown. :haha:

I gotta disagree with the "trick light" theory, and support the slope theory. I'm betting if you took a transit out there you'd find a slope.

I have to disagree with your analysis as well, in the opening post the man said its flat.

If it takes a transit to locate a slope in 100 yds I really don't feel its enough to create the sighting error, also walking to and from the targets would reveal the change in elevation as well.

ApprenticeBuilder is right.

In order for a slope to affect trajectory it has to be significant enough to make the horizontal distance to target much shorter than the true distance.

Simply put, the incline or decline would be very noticable before it would move his point of impact that much at 100 yds.

Enjoy, J.D.

Possible vacuum effect? Air moving across the top of the quarry creating a low pressure area within the quarry, effectively 'sucking' the ball upward, the same way an airbrush works?

Yeah, I know it's manure too, but at least mine sounds plausible! :blah:

robtattoo said:
Possible vacuum effect? Air moving across the top of the quarry creating a low pressure area within the quarry, effectively 'sucking' the ball upward, the same way an airbrush works?

Yeah, I know it's manure too, but at least mine sounds plausible! :blah:

Maybe not in the way you described, but it may in fact be due to a "vacuum". At least it sounds like someone is sucking air! :haha:

Back