• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swedish Fire torch: Cooking baked beans and Vienna sausage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpie44

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have no idea how traditional this method is or where it actually comes from. I leaned it from an eagle scout when I was in high school. I was never a scout myself but I knew a few. When i go camping I ether use this method of alcohol stoves. I actually don't know much about traditional camping but this is about as close as i come to it.

http://youtu.be/3tLb3JVipFg

I like some of the other videos connected to the one you linked, where they use a full log quartered and no 550 cord wrapping. Although at many events that provide wood the wood is also partially split, it might be possible to find enough logs close enough together to make it work. A pretty cool technique and looks like it conserves fuel.

LD

I've actually never done it with a spit log. It would be nice because you wouldn't need any twine to bind it. i just never have a log around where i go camping. I normally just have to use whatever is laying on the ground and stick to what i can cut up with my camp saw.

Like i said in the video I normally don't use 550 cord. I've used bark fiber, vines and once I used twine made out of cattails. Just about anything works. The logs don't have to be held together all that tight.

Thanks for your impute.

I've never done that but sure am gonna give it a go next time I'm out n about. Neat idea to use on damp ground when a small fire would be a problem from the wet

Back when I was a scout we used empty vienna saugage cans to cook with. Just cut corragated cardboard into strips coil them and place them into the empty can leaving about 3/8 inch sticking out the top. .Pour melted parafin in to the can until full. Let cool and dry and you have a waterproof/spill proof cooking stove. :idunno: :idunno:

Like i said in the video I normally don't use 550 cord.

I didn't thank you for doing a video of your own, btw, sorry bad manners. It is a very cool idea. :hatsoff:

I didn't find fault with your technique or video (impute), and it did lead me to several other videos of variations on your method. Yours also show how one might work such an arragement where there are no larger logs to split, and I can think of several parks near me where that set-up would come in handy.

LD

I will give your method a try...seems like a excellent idea.

Thanks for posting the link to your video....

Giz

I didn't mean it to come off that way. I just said that because some people missed why I was using 550 cord. No big deal.

Back