• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing Lead Oxide

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCP

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Removing Lead Oxide from my balls

When I received my 36 flintier it came with 3 unopened boxes of .360 Hornady lead balls. I don’t think they even make them anymore.(.360) So how old, who knows.

So I open the 1st box and there white (almost looks like PAINT)

I tried wd40 (not much luck)

So I tried Lime away let the set for an hour, put them in the Dillon with walnut media for an hour (not much luck here either)

So now I try vinegar, it turns white, hour later there in the Dillion for an hour (Better but no cigar)

Now I am not happy. BUT, By Hell and or High waters, I am going to get them clean.

Repeat vinegar and Dillon three more times. THERE CLEAN

I have 2 more boxes of these and I cant even look at the boxes let alone open them.

Based on similar experiences with old boxes of Hornady .490"s and .520"s...IMO, unless you're planning to compete at the national level or use a dial caliper to measure your group sizes, you shouldn't notice any difference just burning them up at the range.

The trick here with using oxidized balls is don't lick your fingers or pick your nose after handling them.

Beyond that not much needs to be done.

i find a good blast from black powder that has been put in a tube on a piece of nice wood seems to work :grin:

Soapy water and a rag, rub'm good in the rag, lay'm out to dry.
Throw the rag away, wash yer hands and shoot the ball. :idunno:

DCP said:
Removing Lead Oxide from my balls

When I received my 36 flintier it came with 3 unopened boxes of .360 Hornady lead balls. I don’t think they even make them anymore.(.360) So how old, who knows.

So I open the 1st box and there white (almost looks like PAINT)

I tried wd40 (not much luck)

So I tried Lime away let the set for an hour, put them in the Dillon with walnut media for an hour (not much luck here either)

So now I try vinegar, it turns white, hour later there in the Dillion for an hour (Better but no cigar)

Now I am not happy. BUT, By Hell and or High waters, I am going to get them clean.

Repeat vinegar and Dillon three more times. THERE CLEAN

I have 2 more boxes of these and I cant even look at the boxes let alone open them.

I would simply remelt them but I cast for everything. Elemental lead, like a clean RB is not especially toxic. The various white forms, oxide, acetate (the Romans used it for sugar), carbonate are toxic and care needs to be taken when handling them.
I have an oak shooting box that over time will turn balls white.

Dan

Zonie said:
The trick here with using oxidized balls is don't lick your fingers or pick your nose after handling them.

Beyond that not much needs to be done.

Agree. Watch where ye put her hands and wash up after handling. If they are a size you can't use just remelt.

PLEASE! Just spray them with WD40 or any other good spray oil for guns( RemOil comes to mind) and watch the oxide disappear. The lead turns black, but the oil coats the balls and they don't oxidize further. The oil also protects your skin from being in direct contact with the lead oxide, when you handle the lead balls. I can't say if the oxidation is reversed or not, but The balls become both black and SHINEY, rather then fuzzy or frosted. in time, WD40 dries. :hatsoff:

They are fine as is; it's a waste of time trying to "clean" them. Just don't put them in your mouth and suck on them like Jaw Breakers. :rotf:

Back