• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flinter's Tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodiakmarine

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm ordering a few supplies. DGW has a flinter's tool made by The Hawken Shop that is supposed to act as a flint hammer, pick, mainspring vice, screwdriver, and striker. Has anyone used this item? Is it any good? :hmm:

I've never seen anyone use anything like it. It might work. I knap my flints with the back of a knife. A real spring vise would work better. A pick can be just a simple piece of piano wire. The screw driver could be handy.

Many Klatch

Thanks Many. I think you're right about the spring vise. This is my first flinter and I'm looing forward to getting out on the range. :)

Most new guys, including myself, buy way too much "stuff" when they first start. Than you will start thinning out what you have and the amount of "stuff" you need to shoot a flintlock. Best way to find this out................. :hmm:

True enough Ebiggs. My shooting box is overflowing already from my old percussion guns. I might have a garage sale! :haha:

I own the "Flinter's tool", and its excellent. I have made use of all its functions over the years, including the notch to hold a mainspring. The wire is thin enough to also use to clean percussion nipples, which I have done for other shooters at my local club from time to time. :hatsoff:

Thanks Paul, but I've already placed my order. :doh: I will remember that for future reference. - John

It looks like it could be handy, but maybe a gadget. I carry a screwdrive and a pick and brush. screwdriver and a pocketknife is all you need to knap a flint, and a pick is useful at times. All you need for tools in the field. You don't want to be disassembling your lock in the woods, small parts get lost easily.

You will find that the small screwdriver blade on the side of the tool will allow you more control when tightening the cock screw w/o buggering up the slot. The length of the tool gives much more leverage to turn the cock screw tight- whether the flint in wrapped in leather or lead.

I Used to carry all kinds of tools in the bottom of my possibles bag, to take care of problems in the field. The Flinter's tool has allowed me to leave most of them in my range box in the car, or camp.

You don't know me from Adam, but if this was just some gadget, I would have gotten rid of it long ago, and I would not recommend it here! A lot of thought went into this tool. I have tested it for making sparks, but carry my flint, tinder, and striker in a separate Tedd Cash "Tobacco " Tin. I bought those items before the Flinter's tool, so I continue to use them.

I knapp my gun flints in the lock, using a raised frizzen so that the flint strikes the heel of the frizzen, to remove a spall from the bottom side of the edge, and leave a clean, even, sharp new edge across the with of the frizzen.

Back