• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sell or rebarrel a Reproduction Harpers Ferry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40calFlintlock

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I own a reproduction 1803 Harpers Ferry musket in .58cal. About midway down the barrel, there is a slight rough spot. It may have an affect accuracy, but it is hard to tell because of the occasional flier. The recovered patch is torn. I am at a crossroad - either sell or rebarrel with a nice Rice Co. barrel. :idunno: Let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks!

If it's a .58 then it's one of the early imports that had a reputation for poor ignition due to poor lock geometry and touch hole location. I'd
make sure that either of those conditions are not producing your fliers. If not I would consider a reline rather than a new barrel only because a custom tapered octagon to round barrel to fit an import stock may be a bit pricey. I'm not sure that Rice would make a barrel to fit.

Duane

I smoothbored mine. It's an old Zoli, with all the usual complaints. Soft frizzen, soft tumbler, etc. One good thing about it, by the time I got done, it had taught me alot about lock work.

Rod

The barrels were done using the same tooling that was used on the repro CW muskets. The rifling is too shallow to be realy good for a patched round ball and it is about a 1 in 70 twist. It should shoot a properly sized mini ball well when you can get consistent ignition. Finding a good RB/patch combination can be a little tricky but can be done. I would be willing to bet that rough spot isn't much of a problem. It would probably be much cheaper to have Bobby Hoyt reline the barrel than it would be to replace it. The problem would be that you still have that lock. Back in the 70s or 80s there were some articles in the magazines about reworking the locks and if I remember it involved cutting and rewelding the hammer and possibly the frizzen too just for starters.

With the bicentineal of the War of 1812 at hand, you would do well to sell it to reenactor of that period. The price of new ones will steer a blank shooter to a used one with a rough barrel. Most will not care about that issue. Just be honest about it.

I'd go for a reline to .54 caliber, which Bobby Hoyt can do for around a C note. To replace the barrel, duplicating the contour and installing the underrib and cutting dovetails and all could be pretty expensive. The lock isn't the best but can be made to work prety well.

WHOA! Thanks to everyone for your input. :hatsoff:

Yes, it is an old Zoli, shallow s-l-o-w 3-land / groove rifling and now that it was brought to my attention, plagued by hang-fires.

I think I'll dump it and get a nice Jaeger! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back