• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First engraved horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfyter43

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been home for the past few months recovering from surgery, so I decided an engraved horn would be a nice project to keep from going stir crazy. I've made other, very basic horns before, but I've never done one with any engraving or other decoration.

I learned quite a bit making this horn. My first scrimshaw attempts were pretty sloppy. I realized I was trying to cut WAY too deep, making the tool skip around. And the Exacto knife I was using really wanted to dig in. I ordered a scribe from Coulter Precision and lightened up on the pressure, with great results. I also learned just how important it is to clean up even the shallowest of scratches before doing any engraving. If you look closely, you can see a few scratches that I missed. There are also some tool marks on the neck that I missed. Not perfect, but overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

The butt plug is a scrap piece of maple I had laying around from another project. The horn was dyed with Rit dye, and to color the engraving I used a mixture of gunpowder and water.

A couple shots before dying to show off the scratchin':

horn1.jpg

horn2.jpg

horn3.jpg

And the finished horn:

horn4.jpg

horn5.jpg

horn6.jpg

The strap is from The Weaving Welshman. It's one of his Woolton straps with beeswax. Lynn called me shortly after I ordered the strap and offered to add the beeswax. He said he has only used beeswax on a Woolton strap once before, but he really liked the way it turned out. I have to say, I really like it too!

horn7.jpg

horn8.jpg

horn9.jpg

Great looking horn, love the yellowish color you got the body to, really sets it off.

Very nice! I like it!

Bloomsbury?
I am from Hawthorne originally. Been in upstate NY for 40 years.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Nice Job on the horn...Hope You are on the mend. From Massachusetts(Berkshire Hills)...Living on the Left Coast Now...

Back