• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally saw a "spit patch"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dg98adams

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm new to black powder, learning to clean/load/shoot my .50 T/C Renegade via youtube.

Joined the Dayton Muzzleloader gun club Sunday and hung out while the guys were shooting trying to absorb without asking too many questions.

Things I found:

A "Spit" patch is exactly that, which the shooter used between shots to clean his gun.

Goex Bp good, Pyrodex Bp bad - knew that, but that's what the Gun Store had.

The wonder rod I bought is no good (abrasive), as I should have a 5/16 steel rod for the range.

Peep sights instead of the stock sights.

Gotta go to Friendship, if for nothing else to know what's too much and what's a deal.

Most all the stuff I bought, these guys make (starters, range rods, powder measures, patches).

Hopefully, if my son and I shoot at the range long enough one of these older guys will take pity on us and help us build a Custom target shooter.

There is some really interesting guys in this club.

:bow:

That's a big plus friend, being able to be around a club or group of guy's shooting these Traditional BP guns.
They start seeing ya on a regular basis most of'm will have little trouble offering a little guidance.
Observation is a good thing too, don't be afraid to ask questions, but don't do it whilst the guys is shooting or loading cause they're focused on the task at hand.
When you see who's winning on a regular basis, watch that feller close.

A spit patch can also be used in place of a lubricated patch during range sessions. I use spit exclusively during range sessions. I place a precut patch in my mouth while I'm charging my rifle. By then, it's wet enough to serve as a lubricant for the patch.

You're in a fine position. The very best way to get into black powder is to get around a bunch of other bp guys. And, yes, ask questions and observe.

If your into round pre-cut patches I can provide a few pictures of a simple patch punch that works like gang busters if you have a good bench vise.
Some folks like to cut them at the muzzle from a strip with spit for lube.
I've done it both ways and now like to make my round patches and soak them in windshield washer fluid for the patch lube. I've been squeezing them out one at a time just before loading and it gives them just the right amount of fluid lube.
Keeps the barrel cleaner longer for me than spit patching does.
One of the best patches I have ever found comes from my old worn out Field and Stream felt shirts. They average about .020 and I just cast the ball diameter that fits the patch thickness.
They are of much tighter weave than pillow ticking and stronger. MD

My first trip to a muzzleloader match was to Blue Ridge Rifles in PA. back around 1977. I felt a bit cocky with my new TC flintlock. Until I saw those guys shoot. I put my gun in the trunk and just sat and watched. I was invited to dinner with an older guy and his buddies and then sat around a camp fire as they debated various points about shooting and competition. Those guys were just over my head enough that I was afraid to ask questions. By my third visit, I had progressed enough to be not-ashamed of my shooting. I looked so forward to the things I learned while sitting around that camp fire. Within a few years, I had progressed to making a few target guns and holding my own in matches, even winning a few here and there. We had spirited debates about how to measure powder and whether weighing each ball makes a difference in score. What type of rifling was better and the characteristics and benefits of different styles of rifling. Under what circumstances would it make a difference. Then there were the put ups or shut ups. Putting theory and argument to the test. And testing those ideas in actual shooting. Most of those guys are gone now. But there is room at the camp fire for others to carry on the tradition. In a way this forum is a substitute for that camp fire. Still it isn't quite the same without the smoke and beer.

dg98adams said:
Things I found:

A "Spit" patch is exactly that, which the shooter used between shots to clean his gun.

Can also be the patch for shooting.

Goex Bp good, Pyrodex Bp bad - knew that, but that's what the Gun Store had.

Have only ever used Goex (since 1976) but it works and I'm happy.

The wonder rod I bought is no good (abrasive), as I should have a 5/16 steel rod for the range.

All I use with my Renegade is the rod in the thimbles. All I use for shooting ANY of my muzzleloaders is the attached ramrod. [/quote]

Peep sights instead of the stock sights.

Probably better. Scope would be better still. But iron sights do a great job and are traditional. Depends why you're using a m/l in the first place I suppose.

Gotta go to Friendship, if for nothing else to know what's too much and what's a deal.

Would be interesting to see the goings on.

Most all the stuff I bought, these guys make (starters, range rods, powder measures, patches).

That's a big part of the fun and certainly the satisfaction. Gear made by friends can be better still.

Hopefully, if my son and I shoot at the range long enough one of these older guys will take pity on us and help us build a Custom target shooter.

Don't be afraid to ask (politely). Some guys have had their advice thrown back in their face enough they stop bothering; but once they find you to be friendly and receptive you'll get loads of assistance.

Here is a simple round patch cutter.
P1010168.jpg

Strip of my felt shirt in front.
P1010170.jpg

I usually make tighter zig-zags but for pictures this will do.
P1010171.jpg

Ready for the vice.
P1010172.jpg

Start of compression cut.
P1010175.jpg

Cut through.
P1010177.jpg

Wad of cut patches removed.
P1010178.jpg

I would suggest loosing the steel ramrod,(reduce wear on bore) find a good set of period open sights and try plain square pathces. With the modern peeps and many other items now offered one is really stepping out of the world of traditional ML shooting, but this may not be a issue for some as many just do not enjoy the traditional path when shooting MLs'. Which is fine though there does come a point where there may be clashes on forums strongly setup toward the old ways, there are some of these type forums on the internet.Some ML clubs may present a rather cold shoulder towards the modern peep sights, bullets and such as well, it is best to test the waters so to speak before diving in.

There are some clubs that are strictly traditional and others that emphasize target shooting with specialized Buck Rogers looking guns. I have shot in both, but prefer the latter. Some clubs have a mix of the two. You wouldn't go to a chunk match and expect everybody to shoot from the pouch.

Different strokes...

FWIW, a friend of mine ground the teeth off of a hole saw. Tossed the center drill, sharpened the edges and cuts on his drill press.
To me, the process looks slow and clumbsy and very dangerous. But, he likes it, still has all his fingers.
I still prefer cutting at the muzzle.

I just use an appropriately sized arch punch to cut my pre-cut patches. I don't pre-cut all of my patches because sometimes I like to cut them at the muzzle. An old friend gave me a sweet patch knife and I just want to use it occasionally. My favorite patch material for all of my guns is "pocket drill" that I buy from Jo-Ann Fabrics. I wash it twice, dry it and run the iron over it to remove the wrinkles. It measures .018 and compresses nicely between the ball and the bore to form a great seal. Like they say, "There's more than one way to skin a cat." I have several rifles and some of them like Ballistol as a patch lube. Others like Bore Butter and all seem to like spit as a lube. They are a lot like feeding children, some like one thing while others like something else. You just have to figure out exactly what your rifle wants.

I made my tools from scrap I have on hand.
I like the pre-cut patches personally as I shoot lots of matches in spring, summer and fall and tire of cutting at the muzzle and squirting the auto windshield solution on them at the range. I make these up before hand, lubed and ready to load from a plastic,vitamin, wide mouth bottle.Pick one out,give it a quick squeeze and load.
Much faster and less mess for me plus they work as good or better than spit patching. I know I can shoot longer with good accuracy, without having to clean,using this method. MD

These pre-cut and lubed patches really pay off in timed fire matches like silhouette.
They work really well to clean off dirty nipples as well because the solution dissolves powder fouling.
I got the idea from a fellow shooter who talked me into trying it and I quickly saw he had a better mouse trap than I had been previously using. MD

I don't know about you but I have never shot with any real mountain men, only dress up wanna-be's trying to relive the past which is fine if that's your thing. Me, I like practical things that add to my enjoyment of muzzle loading and better ways to shoot cleaner makes sense to me.
Actually if the old dead guys, people try to recreate, had the benefit of shooting cleaner at their disposal, I have little doubt they would have employed it in a heart beat. :wink:

Latest posts

Back