• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Seneca Maxi load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Any reccomendations for a maxi load in a .45 Seneca,using 1.5f Swiss? Other than "Don't do it"!

Planning for piggies..

reddog said:
Any reccomendations for a maxi load in a .45 Seneca,using 1.5f Swiss? Other than "Don't do it"!

Planning for piggies..

Original barrel? Methinks 65 gr. would be a-plenty for pigs. Pushing to 75 would be overkill in a couple ways.
BTW: Why 1.5Fg in a .45 cal.? That is shotgun powder. You will probably be happier with the performance of 3Fg.
And, you used the word "maxi". Did you mean 'maximum' load or are you planning on shooting TC style Maxi-Balls?
If you mean the bullet style maxi-balls, cut yer charge back to about 50 gr.

Somehow the thought of Seneca and “maxi” anything seems contradictory. :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
BrownBear said:
necchi said:
Here's the book, get it right from T/C. It's a link to the pdf of the manual. Load data and listed max for Cherokee/Seneca stuff is on pages 73,,>,, http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals/noncurrent/Shooting_TC_Side_Lock_Black_Powder_Guns.pdf[/quote]

Ha! You're more organized than I am. I have that download, but darned if I could find the original link. I'm betting their max load of 80 grains of 2f under a 320 grain maxi will flat smart in a Seneca. :shocked2:

Yes,,original bbl. I believe this maxiball is 255gr and 1.5 Swiss is pretty close to 2f Goex.

Correction,,it's a maxihunter,,and no, I don't expect to get shootin' match accuracy,,just minute of piggy vitals at 50 or less.

I doubt if it's gonna smart much more than a .735 rb out of my mossberg 12ga at about 1440fps.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually was mostly curious about the conical,,not that much into them.

mebbe I'll just use a little harder round ball with 60-70gr 2f Swiss.

I expect it will work satisfactorily for you.
Understand, Swiss is hotter than Goex. Some say 10%, some say more.
IMHO, both the maxiball/bullet and charge are more than is necessary for pigs at close range.
But, I'm a stubborn old round ball and black powder guy. Expect me to :barf: at mention of anything but a patched round ball in a muzzle loader.

I would not recommend loading a Seneca or Cherokee very hot as the stock is known to crack when shooting hot loads. A mild conical load should work at 50 yards or less. Put a felt wad over powder as it will help the load shoot better.

I concur with Rat about heavy loads. I have seen several Seneca rifles with cracked stocks due to people trying to make "Magnum" rifles out of them.

Back