• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are Traditions and CVA drop in interchangeable?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50cal.cliff

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a Traditions lock and a CVA are drop in interchangeable? Also will the CVA lock work with the Traditions double triggers? I have a chance to pick up a CVA lock with a little ornate work on it but if it won't interchange its not going to do me much good. They look similar.
Traditions Lock
50calmuzzleloader006.jpg

50calmuzzleloader009.jpg

CVA Lock
KGrHqRnQE8Yt8ym7BPJqYce2Q60_12.jpg

KGrHqJnoE8YJtNFO0BPJqYsdcb60_14.jpg

Since we can't post a link to the site where the lock is for sale. Go to eBay an look up item #250984978557. You can see the inside of the lock better on there site.

After looking at the two I don't think they are drop in interchangeable. The flat on the lock after the drum cut, (towards front of lock) looks shorter on the CVA. If it is that would leave a gap at the lock mortise. Also on the Traditions there is a screw hole at the front of the lock, that I can't see in the pic of the CVA lock. If everything else would fit that could be drilled and tapped. The last thing I see is the inside of the CVA lock is different from the Traditions lock which makes me doubt if the Traditions trigger could be used.
Has anyone ever tried to make a swap on a Traditions lock with a CVA. Any information you might be able to share on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

Hold on a second,
Traditions and the old CVA rifles were indeed made by the same Spanish outfit and many of the locks, barrels, triggers even stocks are interchangable, many times as drop in and sometimes with just minor modification.

However,
Both also made/had available several different styles through the years in their long guns and pistols. Some of the Ardesa and Jukar parts will interchange also as long as it's the same style.

In this case you do not have a match, and your right the ebay lock will not work with the set triggers because of the internals design.
Your lock is the better lock and I know folks that would be after the one you have because it doesn't have the stamped "ornate" work as you call it. That stamped design is an identifyer much like the T/C lock design. Sometimes folks will do a little custom work wanting their guns to look different than the factory issue and the stamped lock is a visible clue as to what the gun really is.

neechi, OK thank for the info I was thinking on doing something to fancy the ole gal up a little. But she's always been a "PLAIN JANE", So I will kep it that way!

Back