• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Remington nipple question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose30273

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Wise Ones. I just bought an older Uberti .36 cal Remington. I capped the gun with the intention of shooting it. #10 caps, #11 were loose. Anyway, only a few caps fired the first time around. Most went off the second time. I throughly cleaned the gun but got the same issues with firing off caps. I can't find anything overtly wrong, so I ordered new nipples. While waiting for those to arrive, is there anything to do to get the gun shooting? I had thought about trying to turn the nipples in the drill press in an attempt to true up the cone part. I am thinking these are the org nipples and over the years they have been battered out of shape (ever so slightly)so that the cap does not seat all the way. Any other thoughts?
Thanks Moose.

Try it with the new nipples, I'm sure there will be an improvment but it's possible you have a problem elsewhere. If someone tried to do a trigger job by lightening the mainspring you may need to replace that.

Sometimes it's due to the brand of caps and not the fault of the nipples.
Something similar can happen once the new nipples are installed if you don't have the right brand of caps.
For instance, the CCI's caps have the thickest amount of primer material and some of the smallest dimensions. So they may not seat as well as others.
And if you try to dress the cones so that one brand fits, then another brand & size may not fit that would have fit before they were dressed.
So it can be worth it to buy more than one brand or size of caps to try fitting on your new nipples.
Remington #10's (& then #11's) seem to be the most popular revolver caps. But they may not be the right ones for your Uberti either.
There's the part of the cone where the taper meets the bottom of the cap skirt. That's where the length of the cap and its diameter must match up with the cone to be able to grip it. Too snug and the cap won't slide all of the way on. A push stick can be used to seat the cap all of the way down on the cone far enough to be ignited reliably with the first hammer strike.

New nipples did the trick. Sorta. My old Uberti used the same thread nipples as Pietta. This I did not know when I ordered from TOW. So I put my new AMPCO nipples on my 1851 Navy and swapped out the nipples from a spare Pietta Cylinder. Worked just fine with #10 Remington caps.

I have found on mine that after I shoot for awhile the caps will not go all the way doen onto the nipple from fouling and will produce misfires.
A stiff tooth brushing every couple of cylinder fulls to each nipple will greatly reduce this problem. MD

I do just as you described only with a little Unimat lathe.
I use the cap of choice for a patter and turn the nipple with a file and dress with a diamond paddle kept flush with the contour checking the cap fit often.
They should slip on and bottom out snugly when clean and then I like to take a bit more to allow some room for fouling.
When it takes two hits to set it off the first hammer fall is seating it to the nipple top. MD

Back