• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

making a powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratslayer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there anyone on here that makes powder horns?
I have a few horns and would like them made into a powder holder.

this one is pretty big
004-3.jpg

Horner75 just made me one that is a work of art at a price I was astonished at. PT him for info.

DSCN0138.jpg

DSCN0146.jpg

DSCN0142.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg

Member Griz also did great work but he hasn't been around for over a year. Hope all is well.

If you are asking how to make a horn - scrap, carve and plug. It's a bit of work but is worth the effort.

IM000584.jpg

I found this down in The Craftsman, thank Swampy for posting it.
http://www.mman.us/powderhornmaking.htm

Paul

I just realized i put this in the wrong sub forum.I found a site that explains how to make them i was just being lazy lol.

That is the same one i found on google before i registered here.I just got in from my garage it smells like someone was dehorning a calf........lol

The first thing you learn about working with horn is to do as much as possible outside. There is nothing like the smell of horn dust or burning horn! :idunno: :idunno:

Alls I know is, it's a lot harder than it would seem. I started out thinking it would be a weekend project......three months later. And that was for a pretty basic horn, no fancy scrathin'.

once you figure out what your doin, it doesn't take too long. usually takes me a day or two to make an F&I style, mostly just waiting on glue, dye, or stain to dry! and depending on how serious I am working on it.

I started one I just use a shovel handle as a plug.I put the horn against the burner in the oven to heat it up also used welding glove to hold it.
I still need to finish sanding it and gluing the plug.
001-8.jpg

It looks to me like you have a pretty good start. It should be a working powderhorn in no time now.

Back