• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2011 NYS Muzzleloader Season Doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know its late and it wasn't anything unusual just a nice big doe right down to the wire. Like the do when hunting in the northeast they just appear at a spot you were just looking at only seconds before and usually at around 50 yards or so away. After muzzleloader season that was it for me and this nice sized down came out about 15-20 minutes before sundown. She gave me a slow walking broadside shot at about 60 yards. I was set up sitting in front of a big oak just in front of an old stone wall. She dropped about 15 yards from where I shot her. My rifle is an old half stocked Sharon .62 cal Hawken, next year I think I am gonna go flintlock to kick up the challenge a little more. I am thankful and blessed for the food, decent health and a great rifle. Enjoy the pic, sorry it was from my cell phone.
2011doemuzzleloader.jpg

congrats good job. I have shot a lot of deer with a flintlock and have about 8 round balls that I recovered. Mine just goes thru the ribcage and out the other side. Again great job.

RJ

Nice work. You should be proud. Thanks for sharing the pic, I like seeing other folks harvests.

Thanks guys, last day of rifle season I was out back with my Mossberg 695 12 ga and it missfired 3 TIMES on the same deer. Loudest clicks I ever heard in my life. Last hour of the last day so muzzleloader season was my last chance. Very grateful. Will post some pics of the yummy dinners my wife has made up for me so far. Love that venison.

My first BP deer was taken with a Jackie Brown .62 smoothbore flintlock with a 50" barrel on it, what a great shooter.

Congrats to ya. I would'nt think you would collect many 62 roundballs. I figure they just plow on thru. :thumbsup:

medbill said:
I know its late and it wasn't anything unusual just a nice big doe

With overall muzzleloader season success rates at 20% or less (and that includes success from all the plastic guns we don't discuss here) I'd say that just hunting with a traditional muzzleloader is "unusual" and harvesting game, by the overall stats, is in the minority of those who try....so CONGRATS! Big does are smart...well done! :thumbsup:

My father shot a nice fat doe at 111yrds with his 50cal Knight Mk85.
I have tried to get him to use the TC Hawkin precussion I built for him from a kit 30 plus years ago, but he has taken 1 buck & 3 does over the years and don't want to switch guns.

I took my TC 50cal Flint Lock out for BP season didn't have a shot.

Congrats on your fine Doe.

Back