• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hoppe's Black Powder Solvent and Patch Lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vietnam71

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience using the Hoppe's Black Powder Solvent and Patch Lube? Is it any good?

Whatever liquid lube you use I recommend you pick up a couple of those 3oz. flip top bottles sold for airline travel. They fit nicely in a pocket, seal tight, and allow you to put a controlled amount of liquid on your patch with no muss or fuss.

I carry one with 91% Isopropyl alcohol for wiping the bore, and one with whatever liquid patch lube I'm using.

Got these at Target.

BedBathBeyond.jpg

vietnam71 said:
Anyone have any experience using the Hoppe's Black Powder Solvent and Patch Lube? Is it any good?
I don't kow if it was a simple oversight or intentional, but the lube I assume you're referring to actually has the word PLUS in it.
Depending on the bottle, it's either part of the main name on the front label, or its in the intro text of the label on the back of the bottle.

I certainly haven't tried even close to all the available lubes, but without question Hoppes "PLUS" is the best lube I've ever used for continuous shooting without wiping between shots with no effects on accuracy.
Finish a 50 shot range session, run a cleaning patch down & up once for the drive home and there's only a medium trace of color on the patch and the bore is almost clean...

I bought a bunch of it in the older white plastic bottles. If it's the same formula it's good stuff. Great to clean with too. GW

I am happy with it. Added some to my supply when a local shop was cleaning out old stock so I have it with two different labels.

Like roundball, I haven't tried them all but doubt anything can give better results than I get with Hoppes BP Solvent. the labels may vary a bit here and there but as long as it says "Black Powder Solvent", it should be the right stuff.

I have a gallon drum of Hoppes and the label is quite different from the last bottle I bought.

General info for all...be aware there were 2 different formulas.

The original was a thin watery tan colored liquid in both glass and white plastic sort of flat bottles.

The more recent formula is a thicker liquid, very slippery, and has that terrific (I think) Hoppe's No9 odor to it...comes in the cylinder shaped plastic squeeze bottles like the images above.

I bought a dozen quart bottles of the old original thin formula dirt cheap years ago when a place was going out of business, and I only use it to make batches of pre-saturated cleaning patches for the range, but I don't use it as patch lube.

The newer improved formula is what I use for patch lube at the range.

roundball said:
That's only ONE version of their label.
I have a case on the self right now that the word PLUS is not on the front, but around back.
Even called Hoppe's and discussed it with them to see if there was any sort of formula difference. (there isn't)

EXAMPLE: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00060999

WithoutPLUSonfrontlabel060-999.jpg

RB,

That is the bottle I bought! I figured I'd give it a try. I use Ballistol, TOW mink oil as well.

Thanks for the feedback everybody. :thumbsup:
Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
roundball said:
General info for all...be aware there were 2 different formulas.

The original was a thin watery tan colored liquid in both glass and white plastic sort of flat bottles.

The more recent formula is a thicker liquid, very slippery, and has that terrific (I think) Hoppe's No9 odor to it...comes in the cylinder shaped plastic squeeze bottles like the images above.

I bought a dozen quart bottles of the old original thin formula dirt cheap years ago when a place was going out of business, and I only use it to make batches of pre-saturated cleaning patches for the range, but I don't use it as patch lube.

The newer improved formula is what I use for patch lube at the range.

Now THAT I want to try!!! I remember very well the old stuff,,,and never liked it, last used it in the late seventies. I was wondering why everyone seemed to be so enthusiastic about something that was a lousy product! If it smells like #9 and works as good as folks are saying,,well then, we just might have something!

I'm currently using Ballistol/water for a wet lube, but it can be a girlfriend repellent,,she likes Hoppe's...

Sure wish I could find some Falkenberry juice, but I think Clint Oak died in 2010 and took the reciepe with him.

Rd It does not smell like #9 nitro solvent at all...

use it in my rifles and smooth bores good stuff..easiest lube to use at the range..stays liquid till 23 degrees.....

have used it with success while hunting large and small game and birds...

borrowed 58 cal rifle to work buddy..kept in pole barn unheated for a week loaded...nipple plugged and muzzle taped..20-35 degrees. no shots during the hunt...pulled the ball at the end of the week here's what I found...
IMG_19721.jpg

anal about bore condition...no rust found on bore..could not feel or see any while cleaning.....This is the second time I have experienced this result in different rifles...I will keep using this lube but will change my behavior and pull the charge each night....just saying!

Thanks,,I think any water based lube will do that, which is why I use a oil/grease type lube if It's going to be loaded for a while...

Doesn't smell like #9?,,,durn...

reddog said:
Doesn't smell like #9?,,,durn...

FYI...I didn't say anything about it smelling like 'Nitro'...I said it has the good old Hoppes smell, where the old PLUS formula doesn't.
Get yourself a bottle and you'll be completely pleased with it

I have a .54 Pedersoli Kodiak which is notoriously hard to drive a PRB down after you've fouled the barrels with just one shot. From advice here on this forum I tried Hoppes BP and found it works excellently at dissolving the fouling as I drive the next ball down. TOW mink oil works great too. I have been able to use thicker patches and achieve better accuracy using both Hoppes and TOW mink oil because they allow me to get the PRB down the barrel when the patches are lubed with either one.

I use it too lube my patches. I rubbed into the patches and spread them too air dry to get rid of the access. Then put the patches in a bottle to keep from completely drying.

I found several of the ole timers talking about it when I first came to camp. I started using it and have not turned back! There should be several threads on the forum where it has been discussed!
It keeps the fouling soft and easy to wipe out of the barrel.

PICT0593-1.jpg

This is the last Hoppes I bought. It's a full gallon and goes a long way. The older, thinner stuff was good for cleaning but the new, thicker Hoppes is as good as it gets.

Latest posts

Back