• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

breach brush

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtewsmoke

45 Cal.
Reaction score
is there a brush of some sort made to get down and really clean the very bottom of the breach? NOT A SCRAPER. Im thinking maybe a brush w/ bristles on the very end to rotate back and forth to really get a good clean on. I dont know how you can ever really see if the breach is totally cleen or not.

I'm not aware of a brush that does what you are suggesting.

As for the breech plug face being cleaned I use the "pump method" of cleaning my barrels where the barrel is removed from the gun and the breech is then placed into a bucket of water.

With a cleaning patch on a brass jag, moving it up and down the bore will pump a lot of water thru the open hole for a nipple or thru the vent hole and this turbulent water seems to easily wash away any fouling on the plug face.
When I am drying the bore I make it a point to rotate the cleaning rod/jag/patch against the breech plug face to wipe it clean and dry.

I know this works because the faces of the breech plugs on the rifles I've built are polished and once cleaned with this method, they reflect any light that shines down the bore very nicely.

Yes, they do make such an item. I've had two. The only one I have left, I use to clean the pan of my flintlocks. They corrode easy and once flared, don't get the corners like you think they would.

Follow Zonies advise and all should be well.. :thumbsup:

Same brush can also be acquired from MBS & have bought them for years from them. Mine have never corroded, but I rinse mine off & then spray with a rust inhibitor when done.

Keith Lisle

A 9mm pistol brush with a patch wrapped over it is what I use. Some say that the TC breach doesn't need cleaning in the field but I like it cleaned. I also have one of the brushes that someone posted from Cains and it works well to. I use a cleaning patch on it as well.

I use the jag to swab the barrel, then clean the breach with the brush/patch and then I use a .50 caliber brush with a patch on it to clean the grooves out real well. Overkill; perhaps but it is worth the insurance to me.

maybe it isnt super important since all the business takes place from the breach forward, a less than perfectly polished breach probly wont affect accuracy? just thinkin. thanks

If your trying to clean the sub bore patent breach like in a Lyman Great Plain Rifle, then use a 36 caliber bore brush to enter and scrap the sides of the patent breach area.

I have the same brush shown on the above link, I thought the bristles were too long so I cut them shorter, that had the effect of making them feel more stiff.

ive been wondering the same thing on my traditions deerhunter .50 my jag stops just in front of the touch hole and i have no real way of cleaning the (powder chamber) for lack of a better word i do run my brass brush down in there and spin it a bit but no way of swabbing that part of the barrel if i run a patch i cannot see it through the touch hole about an inch or so of the barrel i cannnot clean my breech plug is not removable is this what the fouling scrapers ive seen at various places are for

Back