• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Extra Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeatStick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After losing all of my BP, trapping, reloading, guns and shooting stuff to a fire, I have been slowly trying to replace most of it. I did find in the ashes my 32 cal maxiball mold. I have it operational again and have been thinking it would be cheaper to have someone make a barrel to fit my 54 cal Frontier rifle stock and lock. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Likely to be kind of a crowbar with that small a hole in the same OD as your 54. My pard got a 32 cal Green Mountain drop-in for his TC because he wanted to hunt snowshoe hare with a 32. It's scary accurate and great fun to shoot at the range but it weighs a ton, and in three years now, he's yet to take it on a hunt.

Another point, I bet you tie up no less than $250 in it and perhaps over $300. You're in the neighborhood of a Traditions Crockett kit or a used Crockett at those prices. And that's a light, accurate little 32. Those here in my neighborhood get lots of woods time.

I had a Crockett that went in the fire. With the maxiball it became my Varmint and Squirrel getter. I don't mind the weight, I have been kicking around putting one together from TOtW but I would like a 40 inch barrel with a 1/36. So I figure I'll have to have it made anyway.

It's scary accurate ...... weighs a ton

This is an egg before the chicken situation, nothing comes for free and a 9 pounder is always gonna out shoot a 7 pounder (all other variables being equal)

This choir is being lectured, I think.

The 32" barrel on the TC brings it up over 10 pounds. I suspect the 39" barrel for the Frontier would push it up past 11 pounds.

Pack what YOU want into the woods, but it's fair to warn a guy that he's building a crowbar when he buys that much steel.

I guess I wasn't expecting to have more than a pound or two difference. Maybe I'll start thinking about a smoothbore barrel for that one and start buying pieces for the 32 project.

You are going to build a rifle to go with a mold...... :hmm:
I suggest you forget the mold & build what you Need... You can always trade or sell the mold.

Keith Lisle

The mold has a deeper value than just a mold. It came from an old timer/rifle builder that took time when I was younger to pass on some of his knowledge, and for that I am grateful and one day I may have a rifle and mold to pass to a youngster.

If you are looking for a rifle and mold to pass on,then have a rifle built. Not just the barrel to be a switch hitter for another gun. Probably the same reason you had the Crockett and the gun you have now. It sure is nice and efficient to have guns that fit their purpose. Or of course keep looking for a Crockett like the one you lost.

Well, I have been invited to build a rifle along side a rifle builder that I stumbled across by dumb luck. I will be going this week to put together a parts list and order the makings of my new squirrel rifle. 32 caliber 40 inch barrel rocklock.

Back