• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Englander

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larry wv

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought a .50 cal New Englander at a gun show today. .Looks real good bright bore. No manual of course. Anybody know what TC says the max load is in one of these. Notice I didn't ask for the most accurate just wondering what the high end is for the rifle. About all the guns were out of sight on price. I lucked out and walked by the table as the owner was putting a new price on the stock. Lowered it 100.00 dollars in one swipe of the pen. :shocked2: 115.00 :) Guess my good luck is used up for a while. Always wanted one. I think my Toledo barrel will fit it. Won't be around the Toledo barrel for a while. Anybody know? Larry Wv

Just remembered the Toledo is half round and the octagon part is on the back. :( Larry

the TC site has manuals - was there recently and they did have them for out of production guns.

figures - went to TC site & didnt have that manual but they did have a pdf titled shooting side lock muzzleloaders (or something like that name - sidelock definitely in name) and it has all sorts of loads for a variety of their guns - looks like they lumped all the .50's together

dont know the recommended max load but i wouldnt be scared to put 120 grains in mine.

Looked at the pdf site. Looks like 100 gr is max. Was wondering as we have a few days of Doe season next week and was toying with the idea of a two ball load. Thanks guys. :thumbsup: Larry Wv

I don't have my New Englander manual right here in front of me but the load for RB's is higher than the load for Maxi's and the like. In the Hawken it is 110 grs for RB but only 100 grs for the latter. I am going to guess the New Englander follows the same path so 90 grs may be max for it with Maxi's.

They are rugged. I use 85 gr FFg with round ball in mine and it's a moderate load and very accurate.

Now you need a 12 gauge barrel for it. Don't know why there weren't more popular. Great little hunting rifle & shotgun.

I use 90 gr with a maxihunter in both my New Englander and both my Grey Hawk 50's,Have a 54 barrel for the GH and NE but haven't worked up a load yet for either With PRB I shoot 80gr on each rifle with good result using THICK patches.(old blue jeans) Like Stump Killer says need to find a 12Ga shotgun barrel now....mine shoots pretty good with it's cylinder bore.they are great little rifles handy as all get out and will take a white tail to the meat locker !!!!!

just seen your post. I have my book looking for your answer. I have had one since 1992, love this rifle and thinking on the shotgun barrel. 50cal. round ball loads are as follows; 50grains FFG BP muzzle velocitty 1,357 fps muzzle energy 716 ft lbs. 60grns mul.vel. 1434fps mul. ener. 799lbs . 70 grns muz. velocity 1643 fps muz ener. 1,050 ft lbs. 80 grns muz. vel. 1838 fps.*(this is what they recommend). 90 grns m.v.1950 m.e 1478 ft lbs. 100 m.v. 2052 fps m.e. 1637 ft lbs. MAXIMUM 110grns m.v. 2135 fps m.e 1772 ft lbs. understand this data is from my booklet that came with my 1992 mobel New England. For maxi -ball and maxi-hunter loads it only shows 80-100grains; 80 grns m.vel. is 1564fps 90 1659 *recommended 100grns max. 1743fps.

For the .50 cal, I can confirm that the manual lists 110 g. as the max charge for a roundball, 100 g. for a maxi or conical. I have one of these rifles in .54 caliber. In .54 cal, T/C seems more comfortable with 120 g. charges for both. My rifle did not shoot particularly well when I first got it, but at some point it started shooting groups. needs a little break-in, I assume. I shoot 70 g. of 3F goex and a pillow-ticking patched ball out of mine. I could go higher, but this seems to be a good accuracy node in my rifle.

It is a little odd to me, but this rifle is my favorite of the ones I own. I think I like the drop in the stock better than the straight stock of a renegade. Also, mine has a surprisingly good single trigger. When I first got the rifle it was "new" old stock, and had some dried up grease in the firing mechanism. After some use, the trigger smoothed right out.

You know that pretty much says the same for mine, mine is a 50cal. It didn't shoot good at first, but the older it gets, the more it reminds me of a good wine. I have shot from 70grns to 100 grns. It shoots the best with 70grns. of pyrodex and a round ball.

From what I recall, I bought a TC Renegade new in 1999, made before the fire sold after. The VHS tape that came with the rifle had all our favorites profiled. Just Prior to the fire they were pushing their inline version of the System 1, an inline that came with 12 g, 50 cal and 32 cal barrels all in one. Maybe TC did not want to be their own competition? So they quit the 12g barrel.

Back