• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need advice on a turkey call

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vern faulkner

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I finally got around to making something instead of buying it. Following the directions in a old Muzzle loading magazine I made two turkey calls out of turkey wing bones. Something must have gone wrong because they turned out really nice. I want to give them to my cousin as a gift however I don't believe that he'll actually use them (he just collects stuff like that). They are stained with tea and have a nice dull finish. I am wanting to shine (polish) them up (know that he'll like them that way better). Any of you fine craftsmen have any suggestions on how to go about doing this?? Any and all suggestions are well appreciated. Thank you.

Vern

I'd use a gun finish like tru-oil or tung oil.

I did an elk antler tip as a powder measure with tung oil and it took a shine like a finished gun surface, :idunno:

I hope that you polished it down well with some #0000 steel wool, as you need a nice smooth surface to get a good polished finish! .. Rubbing bee's wax will give it a nice satin sheen.

Rick

car wax, plain ol neutral kiwi shoe polish as well as what the other guys suggested will all work, Maybe think og giving him two, one all fancyfied n shiney to put on the shelf n one more subdued to actually use out in the field if he ever has the urge

Actually Birdman, I have made him two. The first one is a lighter stained one. Shows more of the bone color than the second one. I'm putting them in a really nice case that a pen set came in. Almost like a display box. As most of you craftsmen know from my previous posts, I'm not very good at making things (except messes) but I'm kind of proud of these (even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while).

Vern

hey don't knock yer talent, a little more practice n you'll be showen all of us up, I'd be right proud to own anything I seen ya make, all looks great to me

Mike, I accept the challenge. The process for me is to take my stuff over to my sons house and get his wife to take the pictures and then she will download them in their computer then she will E-mail them to me. Next I E-mail them to my good friend and forum member gus13. He has been kind enough to post a few other photo's for me. I really don't know why they all put up with me. (I ain't good looking or rich and have been told that my personality ain't all that bubbly).

Vern

no, but it keeps us pretty entertained none-the-less!
Now I see why you didn't bother bringin' them wing-bones with ya on yer last visit! tryin' to pull a fast one on me eh Old Man? :grin:

I use either a bit of linseed oil and/or Beeswax. just be sure you heat the call up (in the kitchen oven - your wife will love that! :haha: ) a bit to take the wax a bit better and will help lose any excess wax.
and e-mail me the pics once you get them and I'll post 'em for ya

so here's the pics Vern sent me to post. I'll let him tell you guys about them!
vern01.jpg

vern02.jpg

vern03.jpg

I for one like the idea of the case to put 'em in, never crossed my mind!

The main thing that I learned about making these calls was that I think that I cut the larger bones too close to the joint on one end. That's why where the two bones are put together and glued and then wrapped there is such a big lump. If I had made that cut farther from the joint the larger and smaller bones would be closer to the same size and there would be a less bulbulis transition.

Any and all comments welcome (but remember that I am a very sensitive person :shake: ).

Vern

Some guys only use the two bones like you did and some use all three. Done it both ways but like the three chambered ones better. This one pictured I used to bring in a really nice Tom but I missed him dangit. But it sure was cool calling him in using this call. :thumbsup:

I do have another set of wings in the freezer. I will try your method on those and see how I do. Thank you for your thoughts.

Vern

also Vern, when fitting the bones together, take some sandpaper or a file and sand the edges down just a touch, that will help even out the transition between bones.

Back