• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

28 Gauge Hunting Experiences Wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash Pan Dan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy,

I just ordered a NSW Chiefs’ gun in 28 gauge and I wanted to hear your experiences hunting with this caliber. I plan to shoot ball for deer and shot for squirrels but want see how else others have used this smoothbore caliber.

Thanks,

Dan

While there's no question that my .20ga holds larger shot loads, my .28ga has basically become my favorite smoothbore...so far, a few squirrels with #5 shot, and several deer with PRBs.
I also like the slimmer look & feel of my Virginia with it's B-weight .28ga barrel, compared to the larger D-weight .20ga.

Shoots RB like a rifle and throws a very tight 1oz shot charge. Good for squirrels, put too much of a "string" to hit pheasants.

I for one would like to her more when you recieve your new gun. I've been looking at the exact same and hear many, many good things about NWS and their trade guns.

Snow

I have zero experience with a 28 gauge ML, but over 35 years of serious use with an array of 28 gauge cartridge guns, mostly doubles.

Based on that, I'm dying to own a very light, very well balanced 28 ML. For me it would be used for wing shooting only with zero RB plans, so my needs and tastes are more specific than a general purpose gun. But one thing I've been told to watch is barrel weight. According to sources, the external contour of 28 gauge barrels is the same as 20's, making the 28 the heavier of the two and the less suitable for my wing shooting needs. Might be a mole hill in a world of mountains in my case, but it should point out that you're well off to decide exactly how you're going to use the gun, then build accordingly.

BTW- In 28 gauge cartridge guns 5/8 oz of shot is devastating on birds and such. That's where I plan to start with my own someday muzzleloader.

BrownBear said:
BTW- In 28 gauge cartridge guns 5/8 oz of shot is devastating on birds and such. That's where I plan to start with my own someday muzzleloader.

Strikes me as possibly a little on the skimpy side without the benefit of the modern shot cups like there are in modern .28ga shotshells...but if you're swatting birds really close, might not be an issue

roundball said:
BrownBear said:

Strikes me as possibly a little on the skimpy side without the benefit of the modern shot cups like there are in modern .28ga shotshells...but if you're swatting birds really close, might not be an issue

Most of my wing shooting is inside 30 yards and really fast, so it's not an issue I don't think. I've been shooting 7/8 in a 20 ML, and on a few occasions the pellet strike was awfully dense. Another factor, at those ranges I end up using a little smaller shot, resulting in similar pellet counts to heavier loads with larger shot. Up close like I am, I just don't need shot bigger than #6 and often use #7 1/2.

Never with a frontstuffer but my little 5lb Merkel 28ga cartridge gun is wonderfully effective on birds. Pheasant are no problem, it is really a joy to hunt with.

Even'n Dan; Yes by the way, i do use a 28ga smoothbore i built from parts from Larry Zornes at the Gun and Mold shop in Jackson Ohio. The 36" barrel shoot very well with shot and ball. I typically load 50gr-3f and 7/8 oz of shot for targets, rabbits, squirrels and such. I raise the charge to 65gr-3f and 1oz of shot for pheasants. These are very effective loads out to 30yds. My RB loads are 50gr-3f for targets and small game, 65-3f for longer range targets and deer, 80gr-3f for elk. My max range with this weapon is approx. 65yds or less. Hope this helps. I built this gun specifically for trekking, and it works very well as a "1 gun does all" weapon for me. I have several options for flint firepower in the cabinet and this ole boy has moved to the front row!!! Good Luck, Buzzard

Back