• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pietta Model 1858 new army 44

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xia_emperor

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I wanted to change the current barrel for one with a faster twist. is there a place that sells barrels for these pistols?

I bought the conversion cylinder.

Cannot comment on where to get a barrel, but I went to a 200 grain bullet in my 45 Colt loads for a Kirst Konverter 58 Pietta and my accuracy increased and it lowered my point of impact. Handloaded though with Trail Boss powder.

The original conical loads were in the 200 grain bullet weight range.

Bob

Unless someone can find a custom barrel maker and is willing to pay a high price for a custom barrel I know of no way to get a fast twist barrel for a 1858 Remington New Model pistol.

That said, we do not discuss conversion cylinders on the Forum as they did not exist prior to 1866.

Zonie said:
Unless someone can find a custom barrel maker and is willing to pay a high price for a custom barrel I know of no way to get a fast twist barrel for a 1858 Remington New Model pistol.

That said, we do not discuss conversion cylinders on the Forum as they did not exist prior to 1866.

I don't think my Pietta existed prior to 1866 either. Didn't realize that conversion cylinders were verboten...

We are a muzzleloading forum so essentially all breech loading guns must be discussed in the "Non-Muzzleloading" forum area.

That includes conversion cylinders, Sharps, Spencers, Henry's etc.

Although a Cap & Ball revolver doesn't technically load from the muzzle our rules specifically include them for discussion.

Lucky, didn't you use a liner? That 33tpi is tuff to do, on an old Southbend.

steve

Zonie said:
We are a muzzleloading forum so essentially all breech loading guns must be discussed in the "Non-Muzzleloading" forum area.

That includes conversion cylinders, Sharps, Spencers, Henry's etc.

Although a Cap & Ball revolver doesn't technically load from the muzzle our rules specifically include them for discussion.
Got it! We can discuss non-muzzleloading cap and ball pistols in the Muzzleoading Forum, but not conversions to same. Sounds like the Pirate Code (well, guidelines really...) :surrender:

Hi,
You can get all the information you may need at the North/ South skirmish site.
There they discuss civil war firearms, and not traditional muzzleloading guns.
And no " secret pirate code" there
Have a great day
Old Ford

Back