• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Flintlock Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swinehart

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well after 50 years of hunting with everything from a 16 guage single shot to a Browning A bolt 270, I brought one down with a flintlock yesterday.
I've hunted the last 15 years almost exclusively with a Thompson Center Renegade caplock but made the switch to a Renegade flintlock this past summer.
I had practiced with 80 grains of FF but after opening days wet snowfall and getting the primer wet, I did a test shot with new primer. The rifle fired but with a slight hangfire. I reloaded but put in 90 grains of FF. Figured it would be OK as most shots are 20 to 30 yards max.

PB230002.jpg

The deer came out of the swamp at 20 yards and gave me a quartering away shot. As I brought the rifle up, I kept telling myself to watch the front sight and not get distracted by the flash of the primer powder. Primer and main powder seemed to go off at the same time and deer took off.
I got down from the tree stand and was wondering what I would find for sign. Almost right from where the deer was standing there was a very easy to follow blood trail. About the same as from the heart shot 8 point that I got earlier in bow season. Deer ran all out through the tag alder swamp for about 40 yards and then crashed.

Hit it just behind the right sholder and it came out in the brisket. Did not hit the heart but must have hit one lung and a lot of main blood vessels.
PB230006.jpg

Now it is just getting light so time to skin and cut it up.

Used a T/C Renegade flintlock, 90 grains of FF, a prelubed patch, and a .490 round ball.

The rifle season goes through Sunday and then the muzzleloader season starts. Still a chance for a buck.

Mike

:hatsoff: Attaboy!!! CONGRATS!! you hooked now!
;
;
;oh.. :hmm: hunting season I use 3fff fer primer..4ffff jus gets soaked to easy..not sure increasing you load would stop a hang...but then these are muzzleloaders !! great job!

Nice job . I'm converting my renagade over to flint as soon as the season is over .

Back