• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Barrel Concerns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioHunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello to all! New to the forum and have a question about a Armsport Hawken .50 cal. The rifle is unfired and the bore looks chrome lined. I am planning on using it for deer season this year and am concerned about the 13/16 barrel OD. What is a safe load and how heavy a MaxiBall can I use. I am planning on having a TC renegade in .54 cal for next season, but I have commited to using this Hawken this year. I appreciate all your help, thanks.

Ohio,
With a new rifle and 13/16 barrel there shouldn't be a problem with breach pressure as long as you stay within "reasonable" hunting loads. I use a 75 grain charge of 3F powder a .495 RB and .015 pre lubed patch in a 15/16 barrel and have driven the ball completely through most deer hit within 50-75 yards. If you don't have a factory manual you may want to get a look at one, perhaps on line, and see what they recomend as a max load. If you can do that, use it as a guide and "stay below" their max.
Mark

The only load data i was able to find was a max of 70 gr. of FFG with a 183 gr. round ball. I was thinking of using a 275 gr. TC Maxiball, but I'm not sure of the max powder charge. Should I just stick with round ball?

Ohio,
Stick with the RB. If you take the time to work up the proper load the maxi won't hold a candle to the RB, and it won't kick nearly as hard.
Mark

Stick with the roundball and 70 grain load and put one right thru the lungs. You'll get your deer. Don't try to break bones. Aim for the boiler room. Think of it as long range archery. :thumbsup:

I have a 15/16 12 gauge barrel and that has not blown up, nor do I expect it to

Also a 62 cal 15/16 and that is just fine too.

My 15/16 58 cal has shot LOTS of max loads ( 90 FFg) with 525 gr conicals, That load hurts!!!

OhioHunter said:
Hello to all! New to the forum and have a question about a Armsport Hawken .50 cal. The rifle is unfired and the bore looks chrome lined. I am planning on using it for deer season this year and am concerned about the 13/16 barrel OD. What is a safe load and how heavy a MaxiBall can I use. I am planning on having a TC renegade in .54 cal for next season, but I have commited to using this Hawken this year. I appreciate all your help, thanks.

Is 13/16 inch a typo?? Most 50 cals are 15/16 inch.

OhioHunter said:
The only load data i was able to find was a max of 70 gr. of FFG with a 183 gr. round ball. I was thinking of using a 275 gr. TC Maxiball, but I'm not sure of the max powder charge. Should I just stick with round ball?

13/16" is indeed a very-very slim barrel for .50 cal. Might be alright but, as others have suggested, do stick with round balls. You will be losing nothing in killing power and pressure will be lower. Somewhere in the 70gr. range should be an adequate charge.

Thanks to everyone! I appreciate all the info and perspective. I will get some RB and patches and work up a load, and yes, the barrel measures .825 wide across the flats. I had an tc encore .50 cal that use to use for deer season but sold it an opted for more of a challenge. I am an avid bow hunter so shortening my effective range with a percussion ML wont be a stretch, but I am really excited to hunt the gun season with my side lock. I am really interested in the wound channel and ballistics of a RB and effectiveness on deer. I also am planning on building up a custom TC Renegade i .54 cal, so expect more threads and questions! Thanks again to all who replied.

Here's a comparison for you. Your barrel is leaving roughly .1625" of steel. (.825-.5=.325, divided by 2). I have a 58 cal on a 15/16" barrel that leaves roughly .184" of steel (15/16-.570= .3675, divided by 2). That's some thinner than what you find in current 1" barreled 58's, but back in the 70's was deemed plenty sufficient.

I did some checking and in those days a 100 grain charge of 2f was considered a safe max with round balls in that light barrel. I tried 100 but backed off to 80, not only for a little extra margin of safety but also for comfort. In such a light gun with a hooked butt, the 100 grain charge was a little starchy for my taste. And it's still whopping plenty for deer, even if the trajectory is a little too loopy for my taste to make it a 100 yard gun. So be it. I hold my shots to 75 with any gun.

You can probably dig up some "official" recommendation of loads for that barrel somewhere in someone's archives. Nice to know, but like the others I have to believe you're plenty safe at 70 with RBs. That's more than plenty for deer, and probably flatter shooting than my 58 with 80. And it's going to be a whole lot more comfortable than heavier charges in such a light gun.

I would not go above 110 grains of 2f or 90 grains of 3f when shooting round ball (RB). You need to find the most accurate load for your particular rifle and I would suggest that you start with 50 grains of 3f Goex, shoot three times then increase by 5 grains until your groups get nice and tight, not to exceed maximum. Your rifles ability to accurately shoot both RB and lead conicals will depend on the rate of twist as well as depth of rifling but as has been pointed out, have faith in the lead RB as being a great game getter.

I would think you could safely go up to at least 90 grains with the round ball. Accuracy is more important acutaly. Work up slowly and settle with the most accurate load.

Find what your rifle shoots best. My .54 shoots 75gr best. 50gr and up will kill a deer. Try starting at 50 and work up till you find the best load.

Before we recomend a charge, What is the twist? Minnie's or maxi's need a faster twist, If you have a 1-60 or slower, stick with a ball.

Rat Trapper said:
Is 13/16 inch a typo?? Most 50 cals are 15/16 inch.
For years, Pedersoli made their Pennsylvania/Kentucky/Alamo series rifles with 13/16" barrels for .32, .45, and .50 calibers, and I think the Frontier/Blue Ridge also used to go up to .50 in 13/16" barrels. My .50 Kentucky flinter is one of the very early ones that were actually .51cal - .510" bore by .520" grooves, approximately. It loves (and the deer hate) a load of 60gr Goex FFFg under a round ball (.490", .495", or .500", with appropriate patching).

Regards,
Joel

Back