• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash in the pan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsieber

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Took the flinter out today for some early season action. My 9 year old wanted to tag along. Since getting something in archery season, I'm not super concerned with getting a deer so I'll probably take the kids more. We hunted until dusk then called it a day. I asked him if he wanted to "unload" it as he enjoys shooting it. Found a suitable dirt backstop and helped him hold it up. It failed to fire but flashed in the pan. Wiped the pan out, picked the touch hole, put 3 grains of 4F back in the pan and let him touch it off again, same thing! Third time was a charm and it went off without a hitch. The last time I had to put the whole charge right up on the touch hole for it to go off and poke some grains into the hole.

Why?

The last time we shot it I had it working pretty good to where it just needed in the pan and it would go off.

Would the cooler temp and humidity have anything to do with it?

Damn, that sucks. You absolutely sure the gun was totally dry before loading it? Sounds like damp powder if there was no obstruction to the powder. It got damp somehow.

Was the gun just taken out side once or has it been in and out of the house more than once while loaded?

Loaded it right at the truck when we got to where we would be hunting at. The powder has been kept in my closet in the orginal can.

Sometimes people run into condensation forming on the gun with extreme temp swings when taking in and out of the house that will cause problems but you didn't do that. But from what your saying it does sound like damp powder charge. Or something blocked the vent. :idunno:

I don't know either. Maybe it's the brand of powder. I have been using American Pioneer FFFG, 70 grains.

BillS said:
I don't know either. Maybe it's the brand of powder. I have been using American Pioneer FFFG, 70 grains.

IMHO, there lies the problem.
My two cents, and maybe not worth that.

BillS said:
Well, there is your answer....flintlocks DON'T like black powder "substitutes"!

I agree. American Pioneer Powder is not blackpowder. It's a propellent, not an explosive. Just doesn't catch for flintlock ignition like black powder will.

ABSOLUTELY NO BLACK POWDER is added to our American Pioneer® Powder and Jim Shockey’sâ„¢ GOLDâ„¢ SUPER STICKSâ„¢ and STICKS® Compressed Charges.

So it's all useless in flintlocks. If your flintlock was designed to use gasoline - this would be ethanol. :(

The last time I had to put the whole charge right up on the touch hole for it to go off and poke some grains into the hole.

This is not a bad thing if you don't use real old fashioned black powder. Even with the real stuff, against the touch hole is best. :thumbsup:

Flintlocks never wook correctly with Black powder substitues. That is your problem. imop

BillS said:

Now the truth comes out...
You need to use BP in a flintlock...

No matter what the container says or what some shill claims about the stuff.

Dan

I switched from Pyrodex RS to Goex. I have 2f and 3 f. Much faster ignistion and better burning than substitutes. But..... I always follow the advice someone here gave me and put vent pick into the hole. Also, I prime right before the shot, or just a little ahead, as I have experienced getting powder damp before. It works for me.

Put 2, 3grain measures of 4f down the barrel first when loading. Then your substitute powder. It's one way to use what you got.

steve

You can use the substitute if you put in a booster charge of real black powder first. Once the booster catches, the rest should go off too.

Latest posts

Back