• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lock help please....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swampy,
the funny thing is i had heard many bad things but this lock BUT i couldn't resist and wanted to try something different (ARRRGGHHHH)when i allready knew how good a lock Siler puts out.

LOL, well ADK......My 'Siler' is on the way to Brad Emig as we speak........I'm kinda afraid a little junk escapes from everyone once in a while.
Macon

Thats kinda where I was with the L&R Manton lock, I went with it because it the perfect lock for my build. Roy made sure it worked right and I've been pleased with it ever since. I'm sure he'll fix yours right up too. :thumbsup:

I don't think a Large Siler will fit the inlet. If you look at the lockplate size & the internals positioning, seems like I have been down that road.

3 choices (as I see it)

1: Buy about $75. worth of new parts & swap them back & forth with L&R til ya finally get the right ones & if you are lucky & have allot of patience & a couple of weeks of work, you could end up with a good lock. :idunno:

2: Send it to someone that ReBuilds Locks & is known to build locks well.

3: Get rid of the rifle.

I have not dealt with L&R for several years because of poor customer service. After their customer service told me 9 shots out of a L&R Jaeger lock was "Normal Flint Usage", I was pretty much done with them. Long detailed story, and I really don't want to start my day off in a bad mood, so we will skip on........

I am told L&R has changed management & lock builders now, maybe they are better, I don't know. Until I hear ALL GOOD REPORTS about their locks, I will never use or own another one.

Keith Lisle

Swampy said:
Your liking or disliking something has nothing to do with this thread or my question.

Those likes and dislikes are borne of experience with the products in question.
We are here to share experiences.
Your statement is broad and unproven and the so-called "question" is purely rhetorical.

Swampy said:
Well I have to ask, if those guys at L&R are so good, why do they continually let manure out the door in the first place? I see more complaints of this lock company than any other...

I only have experience with four L&R locks and none are the model in question. I got them basicly for the V spring. I wanted to see for myself whether there is any difference between coil and leaf.

The L&R is miles way better than the Lyman locks I have substituted them for.

As to whether they are any better than my TC's, no, they aren't. They are different but definitely not better.

The average person can just look at a Jim Chambers lock and tell it is better made. More attention to detail in construction, etc. :wink:

Nevertheless the guys, Bill and Tim, are good to work with. And no matter how much you praise the Chambers locks, even they need attention sometimes. :hmm:

Rifleman1776 said:
Swampy said:
Your liking or disliking something has nothing to do with this thread or my question.

Those likes and dislikes are borne of experience with the products in question.
We are here to share experiences.
Your statement is broad and unproven and the so-called "question" is purely rhetorical.

I thought you were the guy that didn't like the 'prove it' dictum!? I've only made about thirty flintlock guns, and a few cappers, so I'm not really in the big leagues, when compared to many here. The lock used most, L&R, the reason, They are the only vendor offering the style I needed in left hand. second, I'm not sure but it is a close run between Chambers and Davis locks. Chambers locks, the only problem I have ever had was a frizzen that I thought was a little too soft, an easy fix, quality castings, fit, and finish right out of the box. Davis Locks, There did seem to be some problems years ago, but the last three locks I have received that come through the M&G Shop have been every bit the equal of the Chambers locks in every way. L&R, where does one begin, poor castings, improperly sized holes, the last two, the toe of the frizzen wasn't even in contact with the spring, and the bore for the tumbler was so over sized that when you held it in your hand and shook it, it sounded like a maraca! Yes the fellows at L&R are nice guys and will work with you, but it was easier for me to just go ahead and fix them myself, and I'm not talking a tune up job, which can be done to any good functioning lock out of the box. I'm talking welding, making bushings, fabricating parts, before a tune up job is even in the picture. Like I have said before, I hope L&R turns things around, but if we aren't critical of their current performance, why would they even bother to try? What is your experience with these locks? From your posting, it seems you have bought a few custom guns, that by your own admission, have been disasters. I'm not trying to make this personal, but you seem to get in a huff towards anyone that criticises those locks in the slightest way. :idunno:
adkmountainken, When Roy is done, you will have a quality piece of equipment!
Robby :thumbsup:

The only "huff" I see here is you trying to turn this into a personal attack in an attempt to prove your position in this discussion.
My unfortunate experiences with custom guns is not relevant to the discussion.
I purchased an L&R lock for a custom gun. Unfortunately, the lock and other parts are secured out of the control of the builder, or myself, because of legal problems he is having. But, I had the lock for a while (a Classic) and it is as excellent a lock as I have ever owned (Silers, Haddaway). The one on my new Jackie Brown fowler was ordered at my request. It is no less a lock than the Classic.
My experience with L&Rs is 100%. I have no experience with Chambers. My experience with Davis locks would require cuss words to describe. The kindest I have to say about the Davis locks is soft-soft steel hunka junkas.

Not trying to personalize anything, just trying to avoid broad unproven generalities. In other words, you've owned a couple of their locks, okay thank you.
Robby

but the last three locks I have received that come through the M&G Shop have been every bit the equal of the Chambers locks in every way.

Possibly.... except for the Warranty....

Keith Lisle

I had not thought of that Keith :hmm: , I do not know their warranty policy., But I did break a mainspring on a pre-M&G Shop, Davis lock. They did replace it, and the sear, FOC. Thanks!
Robby

The Chambers locks ALL have a Lifetime Warranty. You send it to them, they fix it & it is right back in 3-4 days, Correct & No Charge.

To the best of my knowledge, the others have a 3 mo to 6 mo warranty. IMHO, that is not even close to as good for my customers....... I try my best to build a good rifle & also look out for my customers, so that Lifetime Warranty is important to me. :wink:

Now the customer may never need that warranty, but IF an issue comes up, I feel they will like the idea they can have the lock fixed for Free even tho it may be 10 yrs old & well used..... I don't know how you can beat that.

Keith Lisle

Back