• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stripped threads in Lyman?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagdadjoe

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My boss tells me this morning he was getting his rifle ready to go Saturday and when he screws the nipple in..it kept turning. He pulled it back out and it was the threads in the breech plug, not his nipple. Is there an easy cure, like a heli-coil for spark plugs or does he need to take it to a smith?

OUCH,,,there some oversize thred nipples on track's website,,,DON'T helicoil!!!

I believe Dixie Gunworks (and possibly Track of the Wolf) sells oversize oddball thread nipples. I would drill and tap it to the next available size that would allow full thread engagement. Depends on how damaged the hole is.
If your boss does not have any experience with drilling and tapping he should take it to a smith.

Thanks guys. I'll check it out. He says there's a really good smith not too far from him. I'll give him the info and let him decide what to do. T'wer it to be me, I'd probably order two oversized nipples and let the smith rethread to fit and keep one as a spare.
thanks again.

His Lyman has a 6x.75 metric thread. I believe a 1/4x 28 English thread like a T.C or another American nipple is may work by retapping. It seems to me that it is slightly larger thread.

Bob

Leatherbark said:
His Lyman has a 6x.75 metric thread. I believe a 1/4x 28 English thread like a T.C or another American nipple is may work by retapping. It seems to me that it is slightly larger thread.

Bob

I don't think that would leave enough for safe thread engagement. 6mm = 0.2362204724409449" and a drilled hole of .2280 is recommended for 1/4" x 28 tap according to the chart I checked.
If there is a 5/16" nipple available it should have plenty of margin for safety.

Jethro is right.
If the existing thread is indeed stripped out it is already to large for a 1/4 inch thread of any pitch size.

Zonie said:
Jethro is right.
If the existing thread is indeed stripped out it is already to large for a 1/4 inch thread of any pitch size.

I THINK track has some oversize 1/4 thread,,,seems like I saw some over there the other day, I'll go look again.

Tons of 'em,,,on page 3 in the nipples section, up to .020 over!
I didn't look for a tap, but I bet a weeks supply of lube grooves that a phone call can solve this problem in the time it takes the mail to run!

bagdadjoe;

If your Boss decides he wants to do it properly and get the Over Size stuff,,
Tell him I'll give (as in free) him 2ea-.265x28 nipples I have, if he buys the .265 tap to do it right.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Cate...catId=0&subId=0&styleId=0&partNum=TOOL-TAP-15

I had a Renegade with boogerd nipple threads and was going to go over size, decided to send it in to TC for a re-breech instead, so I have the nipps just sittin here,, :idunno:

Send me a PM if you can honestly use them,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Good show, I was hoping someone would chime in with the dimensions. I knew that a Lyman nipple will screw in loosly in a T.C. Looks like he might be able to tap 1/4x28 and then force an "Oversize 14x28 nipple that Dixie Gun Works sells, but I believe i'd try to retap to 5/16 x 24

Bob

I unloaded it for him(he had a sabot and bullet in it...I know..I tried to tell him) and sent him the info. He's going to order a nipple and have his local smith thread it in for him. His is a Lyman Trade Rifle that he's apparently had since they first came out. Got to break him from the "sabot habit" though.

Back