• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

PA fall muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsday

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Been hunting for the last couple days. Our fall muzzleloader season is for doe only. Runs Saturday to Saturday.

I'm alway on the look out for one mature doe, so of course Saturday morning I saw 4 different buck. Not a doe to be found.

Couldn't hunt again til Monday morning and guess what. Three more buck! I did have 2 does comin' my way but the wind was howling and they busted me before they ever cleared the thick stuff.

Monday evening I got in the tree by 4:45. Within about 20 minutes I was seeing deer. The wind was swirling again and the wood were damp so they were getting in on me without a sound.

I've got this yearling under me now and an unseen deer behind me while I'm rubber neciking around trying to find the momma. Suddenly the unseen deer gets a nose full and trots outta there.

I looked back at the yearling and momma had stepped out.

Tight shooting but I thought I better get something done before they headed out too.

A tight shot but a short range. 40 yards.

As the smoke cleared I saw one deer trotting away up the trail while the other one was gone.

I reloaded and checked the hole I shot through. No limbs hanging. I figured I must have got through clean.

Walked up the trail where I had last seen the deer trotting off. No blood but I could trail in the leaves easily. Walked a few yards more and saw a few drops of blood. OK, now I know I connected.

Took a minute to scan the woods ahead. Nothing. Started following the trail and finding pretty steady (but light) blood. Only went another 40 or so yard before I saw her piled up out ahead of me. She was down for good. I think that high lung shot holds a bit more blood inside the chest.

Layed my hands on her and promised the deer gods to put her to good use.

I think I'm taking the fowler for a grouse walk this Saturday while my dad sits for deer on the back side of the hill.

I love this early season. Nice fall weather and a chance to get one in the freezer.

Got her skinned and hanging in the garage. See if Pop can get one this saturday and then we'll butcher Sunday.

Ahh Autumn! Turkeys next!

Thanks for lookin' and keep posting.

Greg

019.jpg

Good shooting! Thats a nice doe. She sure does have a dark hide on her. What do you do with the skin? That one is so nice I'd make something with it. BTW it's always good to have venison in the freezer!. Also what caliber are you shooting?.

Thanks for sharing the story and the pic! Sometimes I envy you eastern hunters, having all those deer. Maybe soon our herds will be back up.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That was a really nice pelt. They have shed their summer coats but the corse winter hair hasn't grown in yet.

Sadly I tossed that hide. I have tanned a few but I have 3 on a pile now. 2 without the hair and one with.

That gun is my trusty 50. Light and accurate. First gun I built. 90 grains of 2F and a round ball. Never found one after it was fired.

Greg

Back