• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

holster question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, IIRC, you can use a twist draw in CAS but be warned. The ROs will be watching you closely. Make a mistake and it's a 5 second infraction at the least if not a stage DQ or even a match DQ. Good luck

Actually, Cooper carried a Springfield because all the enfields were being sent over to Britain to help replace their losses at Dunkirk. He "captured" the luger from an officer when all those germans surrendered.

I buy the holster that I like and fits my guns, and I don't care what CAS and SASS has to say about it, I'm the one that owns the holster, not them. I'm the one that wears the rig, not them. If they want me to wear a holster that they approve of, they can buy it for me.

Buy the holster that you want, not what they want, after all, you have to live with the holster, not them.

This is my rig, I like it, it works, and I can change it to fit my needs.

11b518o.jpg

If I remember Sargent York (Cooper) used a 1905 Colt in some scenes where he fired it as they couldn't make a 1911 work with blanks.

The Brits didn't loose any Enfields at Dunkirk till WW2.

Not to insult you but the movie, Sgt. York, wasn't made until 1940, after Dunkirk happened in WW2.

In my honest opinion, those CAS,SASS fast draw holsters are worthless in real life. Lets see them take them out in a woods walk without losing a pistol, or even ride a real horse. I'll walk behind them any day of the week with a wheelbarrow and pick them up off the ground when they fall out of the holsters. I prefer a slimjim holster with a hammer loop, or even a cav style with the flap. Those fast draw fellers are not even close to historically accurate. What is the percentage of a meet at high noon, with a fast draw were there actually? Heck give me numbers of "meet in the street, and draw". 4 or 5 documented? There are more documented cases of actual duels "walk 20 paces turn and fire". To sum it up my opinion is, use what your comfortable with and what makes you happy.

Well, it's quite clear that many have no idea whats required in a CAS/SASS match regarding holsters. There is no "fast draw" in CAS/SASS style matches. There are those who will draw as fast as they can BUT if the range officer thinks it's unsafe or reckless, that shooter is done for the day. The main problem with reverse twist draws is that the muzzle may "break" the 180 rule. (if at any time the muzzle of the firearm moves past 170 degrees in relation to the downrange target, it's a no-no.) When a cross draw is used, the shooter is suppose to twist that side so the gun will be pointed down range when the gun clears the holster. If at any time a handgun comes out the holster and hits the ground (any time means any time, before or after the shooter has made his/her run) that shooter is done for the match. Pack up your toys and go home.

Some of the statements made here are in the same category as telling someone they can use any gunpowder they want, "just so long as it's black" in color and in any amount, "just pour it down the barrel" straight from the can or powder horn. After all, it's your gun.

Paleryder, don't know where you're shooting SASS matches, but if you're ever in Northern Illinois near Plainfield, look for a shooter who's alias is Gus. He likes a reverse twist draw like the one you want to do. Ask him about his draw.

Just a few observations. I don't claim to be an expert but I have been a CPL instructor (15 years), police use of force trainer and I've been in the firearms business for 40 years.

A weak side holster (cavlary) is a vertical, butt forward holster worn at the midline of the weak side hip. A cross draw holster is a butt forward, forward canted holster worn on the weak side near the midline of the abdomen.

There is evidence that the cross draw was, and is, popular with horsemen. It's said to be more comfortable, more secure and easier to draw. It's my favorite for any time that I will be sitting. It's also easier to conceal.

The cavalry holster has a uniquely military origin. The sabre was considered the primary arm. The pistol was secondary. This probably stems from previous experience with single shot pistols.
The mounted soldier was trained to hold the reins in the right hand and fight with the left. Given the length of the Sabre it has to be worn cross draw to be used. So the Sabre goes on the right and the pistol on the left. Butt forward so it can be drawn either twist draw or cross draw.

That's what my research has shown. If anyone has evidence to the contrary, please share.

Ironhand

Iron, spot on everything until 4th para. Every photo I seen from the CW shows sabre on left, pistol butt forward on right. As a horseman and owner, nobody is ever taught to hold reins in right hand.
So I respectfully have to disagree with the 4th paragraph.
I am not a horseman. I will defer to you on that.
That's what I get for working from memory and not checking my source.

Thanks
IronHand

I've been searching the net for holsters for my two 1851 Navy revolvers. I'm finding the straight and crossdraw holsters. I know CAS doesn't allow it at shoots, but which would be the best holster if I wanted to carry the pistols butt forward and use a twist draw: do I wear straight holsters on the "wrong" side or do I wear two crossdraws? From what I can tell, the crossdraws push the butts forward. I have zero experience in this area. Thanks for your help.
what you mention aren't really "authentic" butt are realistic answers and both of those alternatives and will save you $
butt to do it 'right" you'll want an actual Wild Bill Hickok rig.
bear in mind that he (Wild Bill) stuffed both holsters inside a fabric sash tied around his mid section (not belted holster carry) about as often as he wore them on a belt.
many different holster makers make these rigs for use with a belt.
assuming you don't want to spend more on the belt / holsters than the pistols cost you could start out by contacting Michael Simmons at Skillet Creek at either Etsy or Facebook.
I don't belive he normally lists a Wild Bill rig due to low demand butt Michael can make one up.
his work is very nice and his pricing very reasonable, if it's not what you are looking for than you will have a good base to branch out from and look at more holster makers.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SkilletCreek
https://www.facebook.com/p/Skillet-Creek-Handcrafted-100057376213145/

Attachments

• W B Hickok 2 gun.jpg
    W B Hickok 2 gun.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0
I am not a horseman. I will defer to you on that.
That's what I get for working from memory and not checking my source.

Thanks
IronHand
Yes, I have a few miles on horseback… left hand handles the reins, the right (for right handed folks) handles ropes, guns, etc. I’ve handled ropes a lot more than guns on horseback but yes, generally long barrel pistols are best carried cross draw. Medium length guns, 4-3/4 to 5.5” like I favor are comfortable in the Threepersons rig.

Many moons ago I used to do quick draw with a SAA.
The barrel of the 1860 is too long for me to wear it on the right side.
So I went with a Slim Jim cross draw. Then I opened up the trigger area for a quicker draw.

If I ever went two guns, I would get another Slim Jim right side and wear them both in a cross draw configuration.
I was think of using a hammer loop, but the 1860 stays put, even when jumping and walking through the woods.

I buy the holster that I like and fits my guns, and I don't care what CAS and SASS has to say about it, I'm the one that owns the holster, not them. I'm the one that wears the rig, not them. If they want me to wear a holster that they approve of, they can buy it for me.

Buy the holster that you want, not what they want, after all, you have to live with the holster, not them.

This is my rig, I like it, it works, and I can change it to fit my needs.

11b518o.jpg
Unless you are going to carry a saber this is the best advice yet IMHO

Back