• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Had a good day at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Today was the last shoot of the year for the local BP club I shoot with, the Illini Muzzleloaders. It was the annual meat/prize shoot.

The match was 38 shots at steel swingers, 2x2 wood blocks, clay birds and suckers. Them little bitty dum-dum suckers the bank gives out to kids. All the targets were offhand 25-75 yards.

I shot the match with my .54 GPR cap gun. In that rifle I always use my regular hunting load of 80 grains 3F Goex, .020 Ox-yoke pre-lubed patch and a .530 home cast ball.

Usually I run a spit patch and a dry one after 10 or so shots. Today I decided to see what would happen if I didn't. Noting happened! I just shot all 38 targets and saved some patches. It didn't get hard to load. Accuracy never went away. I was over 20 shots in when I shot the suckers at 25 yards and hit 2 of 4.

Both the GPR and I were in fine form today and we won 1st place! :) 31 hits out of 38 shots. Came home with a CVA .45 pistol, 3 pounds of buffalo burger, and a pack of chilli fixin's for my trouble. :thumbsup: Had a blast doin' it too.

HPIM1593.jpg

Good shooting, Jethro. I would not waste fine meat like buffalo burger on a chili. It tastes just fine being grilled or fried.

I Have made chili for my club, using a huge cast iron pot over a fire, and making enough chili to feed 50 people 3 meals each. I used both ground beef, and chunks of venison I had from the shoulders of a deer I shot. Lots of vegetables, and potatoes to thicken the sauce. I didn't make it really hot, but had a bottle of hot sauce for those who wished to heat up their bowls a bit more. The all day cooking made the venison chunks tender as you could want, and every one appreciated both the flavor and the change in texture of the meat and vegetables I put in the chili. Huge appetites at camp, and people came back for thirds. We still had more left over to eat for breakfast the next day, and some left for lunch, too.

Quick and easy chili:
1-32oz. can Kuner's chili beans in gravy
1-15 oz. can tomato sauce
1-15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1-4oz. can diced green chilies
1 pound of ground meat, I usually use elk, but the pantry is bare, :( so I use buffalo.
Brown the meat in a large pot, add the cans of fixin's, and bring to a low boil, then immediately simmer for as long as you like. The longer you simmer, the better it will taste.
Shop around, if you look, you can find tomatoes already seasoned with chilies.
This is my favorite recipe, I fix it when it's cold out, and it lasts for two sittings.
Enjoy!!
Oh, yeah, Marie Callender's corn bread mix tops it off.

Congratulations! Sounds like you were really dialed in and were nicely rewarded for it.....what's more fun than that? :thumbsup:

Congrats on a great shoot!!! Winning a pistol would be Great!!! You earned it!!

Thanks for all the grats and chilli makin' tips everybody. :)

BTW, in case anybody was wondering, I missed 2 of 4 suckers at 25 yds, 2 of 4 2x2 wood blocks on strings at 25 yds, 1 of 4 clay birds at 30, 1 diamond (6x10? :idunno: ) swinger at about 65, and one big easy round gong (12"?) at about 70. :surrender:

There was a standing bear about the size of a big groundhog at 75, a spade, heart, and club to go along with the diamond, a fox, an axe head, a hammer head, a 18" x 2" pipe, a 12"x 10" cylinder, all the stuff I already mentioned, and probably something I forgot.
2, 3, or 4 shots at each.

They also gave away a .45 Uberti revolver in a drawing.

It was a real fun shoot! :thumbsup:

way to go jethro.Nice shooting and cool prizes. I got a little shooting to do myself this weekend. The Hatchie Run club rendezvous should be a good finale before deer season. There will be plenty of those cute litte itty bitty targets in the novelty shoot as well as the usual challenges in the woods walk. I hope I do miss the first one and get psyched out. any way congrats again.

Have a good time at Hatchie Run T.O.! I've heard it's a good one. Wish I was going too.
If ya want to miss the first one that's easy, just shoot it into the berm... :idunno: :haha:

Latest posts

Back