• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

new off the bench this week

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemeteor

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Been workin' on this one since May, and frankly am getting tired of lookin at it.
No particular version of an early Lancaster, with some desired features from the customer included.
42" .50 B Rice.
Jim Chambers Siler, homemade pipes, patchbox, toeplate, nosecap, and modified a R/H Dave Keck sideplate.
FeNO3 crystals and alcohol, some dyes over top.
Permalyn sealer and Chambers oil finish.
Ramrod tip is elk antler, as are accessories.

The patchbox engraving is by Tim Adlam in Wisconsin. Great craftsman.
He took my raw patchbox cover and made his design look like the 2 were born together.
I know this - Tim's work outshines mine by far !!

Pics were with 2 different cameras on 3 different days this week - so some interesting variation in representation.

I also know this - the more guns I build, the more I realize how much I don't know about building guns.

As always, criticism welcome and encouraged !

/Mike Millard

Final1.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

Final4.jpg

Final5a.jpg

Final6.jpg

Final7.jpg

Final8.jpg

Final7a.jpg

Final10.jpg

Final13.jpg

Final6a.jpg

Final14.jpg

A beautiful LR, carving very nice and also the "old" finish. Have known Tim Adlam for 20 yrs and yes his engraving is superb and that's why he does all my Mlers. Once in awhile I have to remind him to "tone it down a bit" so his work doesn't "outshine" the rest of the rifle. Again...a nice LR....Fred

Beautiful rifle!! Left handed too. :bow:. I also like the short starter and Powder measure, Vent pick an pan brush very nice!.

I like it. Bet you customer likes it too. :thumbsup:

That said, you said:

As always, criticism welcome and encouraged !

I don't care for the way you joined the lock panels to rest of the rifle with the ledge effect. I'm really grasping here to explain what I mean. My thoughts on this stem from the fact that I did the same thing on my first rifle and realized later I did not like it.

How did the ferric nitrate and alcohol work?

marmotslayer said:
I don't care for the way you joined the lock panels to rest of the rifle with the ledge effect. I'm really grasping here to explain what I mean. My thoughts on this stem from the fact that I did the same thing on my first rifle and realized later I did not like it.

How did the ferric nitrate and alcohol work?

thanks Slayer -
the FeNO3 and alcohol works nice, at least for my tastes. same application as AF (altho I've never used real AF): slop on, let soak a bit, heat blush, and repeat.

dunno what to say about lock panels - except I think I'm gettin closer to right than any of my earlier efforts !
But I'm sure I have a ways to go yet.
Went to Dixon's this summer and stared at the pros' jobs for a long time, and took pics of the ones I liked, and tried to copy them.
an example from Dixon's of one I liked (I think this is an Ian Pratt piece, but I apologize if I'm wrong):

LockPanel1.jpg

LockPanel2.jpg

I do appreciate the comments. :hatsoff:
/MM

After posting, I worried a bit that you might take offense, but I see that you are above that! :thumbsup: Gotta say that the Pratt panels look a lot like yours. Maybe my first panels were not so far off.

On a kid gun I recently finished I shaped and melded them per Alexanders as explained in his book. When I look at some of the later Southern guns I see some panels that are much like yours.

The more I learn about these guns the more I seem to not know! :haha:

I just thought that I would give METEORMAN a big thumbs up :thumbsup: I had ask him if he could make me some of those accessories and man did he pull out the stops! I just recieved in the mail a short starter, powder measure, vent pick and pan brush and they are beautifully made! he used elk antler, stained to give them an aged look.

Back