• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kit gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newarcher

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Christmas is coming fast and I thought that I might ask Santa for a nice black powder kit that my 12 year old son and I could put together and finish.

I want something that will be nice...especially something with a nice stock quality...as opposed to the kits sold at Cabelas. Yet, I need to stay in the reasonable price range.

Any ideas or experience?

New

I'm looking at Sitting Fox kit k24. Price is really great, lots of inletting done for you and is designed for exactly what your looking for. Check it out.

I Checked it out and second the motion. Nice looking rifle for a 12 Year old...Could bring a lifetime of memories and enjoyment...I'm actually contemplating one Myself....

I ordered kit 32 from sitting fox and had a professional make the gun. First I don't know if it was a fluke or not, but stock came with bark inclusion, large siler lock was old style and need repaired tumbler was chipped. All these issues were fixed in a somewhat timely manner. What bothered me the most was that the seller more or less said the builder had no clue what he was doing. This builder builds for a public company. He has over 200 muzzleloaders to his credit. He was condescending in his response but he did answer all correspondence in a timely manner. I would not buy another kit from him.

Andy

Andy- sorry you had a bad experience with this deal. Hope is doesn't sour you on the hobby. From what i gathered from your post, you were unhappy with the builder, which is surprising considering the overall high level of care in the "industry" but there will, of course, be the occasional bad job.

Newarcher- you could do a lot worse- that kit is very reasonably priced! If you do decide to do your own build, start right away (these things always take much longer than anticipated). Also, if you don't already have some, get Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle (by Shumway) and if you can find a copy, The Gunsmith of Grenville County by Alexander. There are a bunch of good DVDs- check out American Pioneer video.

Once a flintlock build completed have you, headed down path of the dark side will you be.

No, the builder is great it was the kit thats the issue. The builder has done everything in his power to make this a great build for me. It was sitting fox that was the issue. I am not soured on the hobby, to be a fact I am more addicted to the hobby more than ever.
engraving.jpg

muzzle.jpg

carving.jpg

Check out Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading. They offer a variety of kits. They are not snap together kits but a lot of the hard work is done and should give you and your son many hours of enjoyment. Also, they are a reputable company and great people to deal with.

If you do order from Sitting Fox, make VERY SURE upfront that all the parts for the kit you choose are available now for shipment.
Same goes for any supplier, but I think that SF does not stock much of anything and simply orders as needed from a middle man.
This is from personal experience.

Give Tip Curtis a call (615-654-4445)tell him what you are thinking about doing and how much you want to spend. Tip dose not have a web site, But he stocks all the same parts everyone else has and a very fair price on his gun stocks.( he cuts out his own stocks you get better curl for your money).
While you got Tip on the phone ask about M&G locks, VERY,VERY well made locks. I seen them at Friendship fall shoot and fell in love with them,good sparking and easy on flints.
Tip has everything from a blank, finished in the white and finished guns. :thumbsup: Tell him the bald headed guy from Friendship sent you. :grin: GOOD LUCK AL

Back