• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My new peep

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoyoteJoe

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I've several times shown photos of my lollipop peep sight which is threaded directly into the rifle's tang. I like it because it's simple, sturdy and easy to make.
Having a little time to play I decided to make a more complex version which allows for windage adjustment. This is how it looks as mounted on a T/C New Englander.
newpeep.jpg

newpeep2.jpg

When I make projects like this I never draw up plans, I just get the image clearly in mind and start cutting it out. When I have made one I then see how I could have made it easier or better. I now have ideas for the next one. :haha:

Joe,
That's a nice, simple, sight. I have a couple of original rifles set up with a plate over the tang for mounting a sight and one that has a tapered tang to accept a peep sight. That rifle you used must be a religous one with that cross in the screw.
Mark

Yep, looks good. Gives me an idea for an open dovetail i know of. Did you cut that dovetail on a mill, or by hand? I remember your post of making one awhile back. Thanks for the posts.

steve

Yes, both the male and female dovetails were milled, otherwise it was hacksaw, files and sandpaper. The next version will have a windage adjustment screw, this one needs a hammer and punch.
About that screw head, I needed a longer tang screw to install the sight and the only 2 1/2" 10x32 screws I could find were Philips head so I stuck that in until I can find a better replacement. I thought about welding up the head and cutting a new slot but it's a soft screw that I wouldn't use as a permanent item anyway. Next version will have a shorter base with the front screw 8x40 tapped into the tang rather than using the front tang screw. Shortening the base will save a lot of hacksaw strokes. :haha:

Knew that but wanted to explain that ugly screw anyway, I hate to see Phillips screws on a gun. :haha:

Back