• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dangerous Custom Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not going to take a side in this deal. All I can say for sure is that the VERY SECOND I opened the packages of these rifles an seen that they were not what I ordered or were in the shape that they CLAIM they recieved them in then RIGHT THEN an there they would have been overnighted back to the builder. No ifs ands or buts. But these BAD guns didnt go back :hmm:

In fairness, I never held either gun in my hand and I know that photos can be somewhat misleading but I think when Rick puts up pictures of both guns, it will be clear that they're nowhere near hideous. I have seen half a dozen or more GK guns in person and many dozens in photos and Rick doesn't build ugly guns. I'm not suggesting that these are showcase guns either but Rick's not getting 3 or 4 thousand per gun, his gun's are quite reasonable.

Isn't the internet great! This is why no retailer/business/gun maker should ever be goaded into responding to claims made on any website by a disgruntled customer, no matter how personal the issue is to them. It is a no win situation.

After the customer refused to send the guns back for a full refund after it was apparent they were not what he was expecting, he doesn't really have a foot to stand on when bad mouthing the maker months down the road.

We have all bought items that we were not happy with in our lives, it doesn't matter if it's a hammer, car, or a gun. If you don't return them for a refund when you were given the opportunity, it's on you from that point on.

flehto said:
The browning on both bbls in the latest photos of both rifles looks excellent...when did the addt'l heavy rust happen? The bbls in the photos don't look anywhere like the pics of the overly rusted bbls submitted earlier by the customer and seeing these rifles were in the possession of the customer....something isn't "kosher" and demands an explanation.....Fred

Fred, the "add't heavy rust" you speak of was there from the time the rifles were received. The difference you see are I believe due to the fact that the pictures of the vent hole, etc, were taken as close-ups, whereas the others weren't. To my eye, the browning is just much more pronounced (more heavily applied?) than I am used to seeing.

Rifle #2, the one with the blown vent, is and has always been stored with my orher rifles in a secure, dry location. The bore and exterior were treated with a preservative oil immediately after receipt and initial inspection.

I hope this is sufficient to answer your question.

roundball said:
Rifleman1776 said:
Edward, I disagree with your point of view completely. We all have a dog in the hunt.

+!

:thumbsup:

The dog is only in the hunt when there is money and a contract which has been signed.

Nothing else matters.

If you are not the builder nor the buyer(s), it matters not.

Who has a viable interest in the fight unless they are a party to the contract?

RDE

I would buy one of Ricks guns, they look pretty good to me.Put them up for sale on the classified board, you get your money back. I might get lucky and then rebarrel or put in a new liner.
Its a win win win for me.
Nit Wit :thumbsup:

Of course without the gun in my lap and my eye loupe I'm just making an educated guess here but looking at these pictures, I think something else is going on here.
VENT-HOLE-02.jpg

Notice that the sharp edges of a full thread is present on both sides of the "unthreaded area".
If the unthreaded area is not full threads filled with liner material, or the threads were machined away leaving the shiny steel I have no other answer.

VENT-HOLE-03.jpg

The way I see this photo there is clearly liner material filling up the threads in this area.
I think I see remnants of other liner threads located below the arrow.

Earlier in this post some measurements were given which indicated an out of round condition of about .030.
If the smaller value was determined while measuring perpendicular to the bore and the larger value was determined while measuring parallel with the bore that would tend to support my guess. The perpendicular measurement could have possibly been measuring the remaining liner material from below the minor diameter of the thread.

If this guess is correct it would indicate that the vent liner was the defective part.
The hole was not threaded out of round (which is virtually impossible). :hmm:

Zonie said:
If this guess is correct it would indicate that the vent liner was the defective part.

OR...could it have been a case of the drilled & tapped threads simply not being according to specs.

Remember all the barrel recalls that GM made because they discovered the thread height in the vent seats were not high enough...wouldn't allow the vent liner to get a strong enough purchase on them, resulting in vent liners stripping/blowing out...

cid_8C2F5B34776345AF8F4D3836BB5EF9ADp4pc.jpg

could be pulled threads too.. who knows :idunno: . But I have personally never seen a liner blow out of a gun. Now I have seen double charged guns fired, ramrods sent down range and heck I put a liner in the wall guns and even 4 bore blunderbuss that we shot about 6 oz of lead with cushion wads over 150 grains of powder... Think if it was a question of powder charge and projectile one of those would have created the same results..

Funny,

I guess we need to see some pics of the vent liner....
Wasn't it stated earlier that they recovered it?

Hmmm....

Giz

gizamo said:
Funny,

Hmmm....

Giz
um look above this post..

gizamo said:
Funny,

Hmmm....

Giz

Funny ????? Not sure what you mean...

Roy,

Much as you hang around us Maine Yankees.... I assumed you figure out Funny is the same as Odd.. or is it vice versa?

Have to check with Ray or Shine, I guess. Prolly give me two different answers.... :rotf:

I knew whatcha meant.. :haha: but at any rate the pics of the liner were posted too..

There seems to be liner material in the cut thread of the barrel, even at the top thread cut.

Given the recipients close examination of the two guns....could one or the other pull the vent liner and of reinstated it, ....? Even without the others knowledge. Seems like the two guns were thoroughly inspected once uncrated.

My only other question would be if one of the brothers contracted with Getz, to send a replacement barrel back with or after the original barrel was returned?

Giz

When I received one of my rifles, one of the under lugs had become loose. I called the rifle maker and he asked me to immediately send it back to him, at his expense. That was a pretty simple problem and could have probably been fixed here but he said it was his work and he was pretty insistent that he wanted to fix it. I think if that had been done with these rifles, this would have solved the problem one way or another. And if I read it correctly that's what the rifle maker wanted to do. It's just a shame all the way around.

Just my 2cents worth.

gizamo said:
There seems to be liner material in the cut thread of the barrel, even at the top thread cut.

Given the recipients close examination of the two guns....could one or the other pull the vent liner and of reinstated it, ....? Even without the others knowledge. Seems like the two guns were thoroughly inspected once uncrated.

My only other question would be if one of the brothers contracted with Getz, to send a replacement barrel back with or after the original barrel was returned?

Giz

I am somewhat confused by your post. It almost suggests that I (or my brother) actually removed the vent liner, sabotaged it, reinserted it, and that fired the rifle until the threaded joint failed. Why, in Heaven's name, would anyone do such a dangerous, irresponsible thing? I am sure that is not what you mean, but please help me to better understand.

Yes, the rifles were throughly inspected upon uncrating, but the inspection did not include taking out a non-removeable vent liner and checking thread engagement depth. I looked at the liner, which appeared to be properly installed, and specifically the vent hole placement, which I believed was perfectly located in relation to the pan. I was VERY pleased with the speed of ignition, right up until the last shot.

I wouldn't want something like this to happen to anyone.

Drilled vents are starting to sound better and better, aren't they.

tg said:
True but the product should have never left the shop concidering the gross nature of the problems, ...
May I point out that no one on this forum knows what condition anything was in at any time, except the buyer and seller.

For people here to take sides, based on what they think happened is not only not fair to either side, it is a waste of everyone's time.

To address the original poster, I would say, if you were not satisfied with the product, you should have returned it. You chose to keep it, so you made your choice. Man up and live with your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back