• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sliding patchbox lid

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George91946

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great information. I would like to ask if there is a method for attaching a brass backplate to a sliding patchbox lid without using wood screws.

Thanks

Lisle George

George91946 said:
Thanks for all of the great information. I would like to ask if there is a method for attaching a brass backplate to a sliding patchbox lid without using wood screws.

Thanks

Lisle George

If you want to avoid the look of screwheads on the brass covering the butt of the sliding wooden patchbox lid, you can use tiny screws, countersink them just a little, and after tightened down, file the heads off the screws.

Drill a nail sized hole halfway through the thickness of the cover, solder in a nail and drive it into the cover. Probably use glue too.

my .02

Rich Pierce said:
George91946 said:

Thanks

Lisle George

If you want to avoid the look of screwheads on the brass covering the butt of the sliding wooden patchbox lid, you can use tiny screws, countersink them just a little, and after tightened down, file the heads off the screws.

if you did that with brass screws and peened the half filed heads out a bit then filed and polished them flush they'd be invisible.

Supercracker said:
Rich Pierce said:
George91946 said:

Thanks

Lisle George

if you did that with brass screws and peened the half filed heads out a bit then filed and polished them flush they'd be invisible.

If you are going for a period piece, use steel slot screws to affix the brass piece. Counter-sink them a bit, screw them down tight, and file off the end. Try to avoid brass screws as they weren't available and they have a habit of twisting off/breaking.

Thanks I'll probably do the ferrous screw idea presented here. If there is a possibility of twisting a brass screw off, I'm the one that will do it. I do like the idea of hiding the screws some way though.

Lisle George

Back