• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 remmie gums up.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know of any company that makes the Remington-Beals any more.

As I may have mentioned mine was proofed in 1985.

I suspect that the Italian companies that choose to make this model received a lot of negative feedback about the very thing that caused Remington to redesign the frame into the New Model guns.

As for me, I sorta enjoy having the model that kicked off Remingtons big bore handguns even if it does have a fouling problem.

If by "drum" you refer to cylinder, knurling the cylinder pin allows it to retain significantly more lubricant for significantly longer time.

Hope this helps.

It would be nice if Remington made some cap and ball guns for the 150th anniversary of the Civil War.

Tried to buff it down and re-blue the cylinder pin to no avail. Now I oil it between 6 shot groups.

Matchlock72 said:
Tried to buff it down and re-blue the cylinder pin to no avail. Now I oil it between 6 shot groups.

The cylinder pin is not meant to oiled, try using a good quality grease instead.

tac

I use Rem Oil on the cylinder pin and put some into the cylinder pin hole, no binding so far.

RDE

Matchlock72 said:
I have shot my new gun a few different times, and a few different loads. They all have one thing in common in that after 12 or so rounds the pin that holds the drum in get stuck, two gummed up to take out without lots of work. I am using the piro +p. I oil it and still. :surrender: Any Ideas :idunno:

My reply from another thread, seems to apply here too:

Try running down to autozone or some such and grab a can of lithium grease. Works great, even when it's full of powder, dirt, or whatever. Even better would be lubriplate spray lube "A." Expensive as heck ($+-30/can) last I saw, but well worth it, and it'll last you forever since you don't need much.

Remmie gums up no more. I was at my local Auto parts store and noticed a little bottle of lube on counter that was camo. Upon closer inspection I Saw that it was Lucas gun oil. Well I was about out of the stuff I use, so I bought it. I needed it for my CF guns but it said it was good for black powder. I gave it a try, it works. 14 rounds latter it the pin was as easy to take out as it was to put in. Now this was not a full test. that being said first impressions are important.

I will report back after more testing.

Back