• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hi Y'all from MA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BerkshireHunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Inherited a Kentucky rifle from my grandpa and I was keen to use it for deer season last fall. Never got it up and running, but went out and got it working today. I hope to learn a lot about black powder and muzzle-loading on this forum, and maybe get some game with one. That's all for now.

Welcome to the New England Yankee!

You have an interesting Journey ahead. If I had to give one piece of advice, it would be "Engage Brain before Shooting".....Quick is one thing; Hasty is another...

Eric - in PA

ps - When you get the chance post a pic of your New (Old?) Rifle...

Howdy!

Post a pic and maybe some details, I bet there's a few folk here cud tell you a bit about that rifle. Good luck on your trek into th' timeless land o' smoke.

Dan

:hatsoff: :thumbsup: Weelcome to the site Dan.Good place to get started.Griz

Good to see another face/name welcome aboard, lots of great folks/information here, don't be put off when things get a bit hot and heavy, there is a lot of passion interjected into this sport here at times, welcome again and enjoy the journey, it can be a never ending one.

Welcome to the MLF! Camp is filled with lots of friendly knowlegable folks willing to share a lifetime of experience. Good luck in future hunts with your smoke pole!

Welcome to the forum; it's always good to see younger folks involved in our sport. You have found the elite place to find out more about shooting your rifle.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. The gun I have is a Spanish Jukar, I did a little research on them and there seems to be a variety of opinions -while it seems to shoot well, it's probably just a $100 gun.

About cleaning it -after the range I did a quick cleaning, and having been reassured by my friend that powder today probably wasn't corrosive, didn't think much of it. I believe it was pyrodex, a bp substitute, so maybe I was lulled into thinking it was new and different...

Later that night I looked up online whether or not it was corrosive, and saw that it was. I guess that sulphur smell during firing means it's not as gentle as modern smokeless stuff... Anyways, I went down and took it apart more thoroughly, made sure to clean the nipple, the lock and the barrel thoroughly with warm water then again with Hoppes 9. I tried to look up the best way to clean these guns, and it seemed most folks take the barrels off. Only problem with this cheap gun is that there seem to be pins in the stock attached to the barrel making it too much of a pain.

As for a range report -the gun seemed to shoot accurately at the target we'd set at about 80 yards. I definately hit it with a 60 gr. load, and I think the lighter loads I shot were hitting just under the target. I don't know if I trust the build quality to go much above 65 grains on the gun, maybe that would be a good max load for deer next season. Oh, and the fix I needed to make on the gun to get it to fire was the nipple. The hole on the one it came with didn't even seem to go all the way through, but the new one works great. Only problem is that the hammer doesn't quite fall perfectly square on the nipple, making cap placement tricky and it led to a couple misfires. Overall, I think this bp stuff is a blast, and it seems to be cheap too! :grin:
.45 cal
P4100006.jpg

P4100005.jpg

P4070002.jpg

Welcome to the forums!
Nice gun you have there.
Doesn't really matter what you shoot...Pyrodex or real black...cleaning goes with the territory. Keep 'er clean and it will pay you back in good looks, reliability and accuracy.

Latest posts

Back