• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Timeframe for TVM kits to ship

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vtsmoker

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Thinking about ordering a TVM fowler kit for my first build. Does it take a long time for them to ship a kit or are they "pack and ship". Are their kits good for a first build beginner?

Vtsmoker said:
Thinking about ordering a TVM fowler kit for my first build. Does it take a long time for them to ship a kit or are they "pack and ship".
This is one of those questions that always intrigues me.

Why do you ask the public, when you could ask the company directly and get a more informed answer? :confused:

:redface: Sorry. I work long hours and can't call them during business hours. Didn't realize it was such a bothersom question. Moderators please delete this topic.
thanks

Vtsmoker said:
:redface: Sorry. I work long hours and can't call them during business hours. Didn't realize it was such a bothersom question. Moderators please delete this topic.
thanks

You have absolutely nothing to be sorry about and its not a bothersome question at all...some people just have to make sarcastic comments no matter the thread, or can't think beyond themselves to even consider you might not be able to call them during "their" business hours.

Plus you asked a two part question...and the second one would understandably be one you'd want to toss out here.

For what its worth, I can add that I've had excellent end results in dealing with TVM on 3 builds...not kits...but at least you can take comfort knowing that the owners / operators at TVM are straight up people to deal with.

:thumbsup:

I have not understood if it bothers someone to answer a simple question, why they do it?
Asking the company, TVM, and asking the public can arrive at two different answers. Maybe an eye opening answer! I see no issues with your inquiry, I just don't have the reply you seek but someone else will.
There is no need to request it be deleted.

It's a fair question and I'm sure it will get some answers.

Several of our members have ordered stuff from them so I'm sure they will have an answer for you.

In the meantime, TVM is a rather small company and unlike the big factories they don't have ready made kits in boxes just sitting around waiting for someone to order them.

If they work like I think they do, when you order a "kit" from them they probably already have the parts on hand but they must take the time to get each piece and box it up. There is also always the possibility that they ran out of something that your kit needs to have so they will have to order it from their supplier. Things like this can slow down the delivery.

Also, to be considered is that they don't have a lot of people working for them.
They custom make a lot of their guns and this takes up a lot of their time.

Thanks guys. Toni just sent me a PT and answered my questions. Can't wait to save just a little more $$ and talk to them about my new fowler i'm going to order. From everything I've read on this forum they are the ones I want to work with. I will be here with questions during my build I'm sure. Hope I can do a good enough job with it not to :redface: myself or the folks at TVM.

I have only ordered one gun from them, but am working on plans of a second. I cant think of a better recommendation for them than that they will be getting more business from me first chance I get.

I can't speak for Toni and Matt's TVM.
I can tell you that jack's stock shop or Randy's muzzeloading supply doesn't keep "kit's" in stock.
They are assembled as they are ordered.There are so many different styles and eras that it's not economical to stock all of them.
The stocks are all hand cut and shaped.You didn't say how much you were going to have them do..
ie: cut the lock mortise,trigger, and butt-plate.
The furniture should be in stock. Although I understand locks are in short supply.
So, to answer your question. It's a matter of how many orders there are in front of yours and how many people they have cutting and shaping the stocks.
As a warning..it's not a "kit" like a GPR or traditions..it's more a collection of rough parts and a semi-shaped stock.
You will need basic hand tools, drills and taps.. plus finishing supplies.
regards
the darn Yankee :grin:

i really like the fact that the stock is completely inlet including the trigger assembly and trigger guard, the butt plate, lock, and tang or at least that is what they advertise. im really considering an early lancaster from tvm just for that reason, however they do not offer the rifle school i would really like to focus on. if they did offer it i would order from them without hesitation.

getting accurate opinions of dealers and the quality of their products is a difficult task and a fellow forum member and i have come to the conclusion that it is really a manure shoot. based on what ive read and heard around the grape vine here on the muzzleloading forum is Jim Chambers makes the best kit, pecatonica river comes in a close second, Dunlap Woodcrafts is up there, and tvm is respectable. thats just my take on what ive read up on but im sure someone will disagree with me.

i was having a hard time choosing where to get my first kit and based on a few recommendations im going with pecatonica river even if i have to do more work myself.

if i change my mind and decide to build a lancaster i will buy from tvm.

as far as it being a bad question to ask the public i disagree. its probably the most important question a first time builder can ask and if people on this forum are tired of answering it then they should just move onto a different topic and not respond. however, it would be a good idea to email tvm and ask them directly about shipping etc...

i guess a good suggestion would be to find someone here on the forum that you really admire his work and use him as a blocker. follow him and the choices of dealers he uses and you can attempt to mimic his work. that being said, some of the work ive seen on this forum is unbelievable and would take decades if ever to come close to achieving.

best of luck with your build and we look forward to seeing some really good pics!
ryz

Most of the " kit dealers" are good folk.They stand behind their work.It's a small, close community and with the inter-net,,it doesn't take long for negative comments to acquire a life of their own.
Having bought from TOTW and both TVM's. I could never afford a chamber's kit, but have seen them and they are nice. You can't go wrong with any of the parts suppliers that are used by members on this forum. Period.
As far as having them do all that in-letting, if it is your first one then I would have them do some of that grunt work for you. You will still have plenty to do and learn.
I am learning how to shape stocks from a blank and it is a good deal of work, even with the tools used by a modern stock shop.
Grading wood is a humbling experience. :shocked2:
Messing up a $300 piece of maple is even worse. :cursing:

the rifle kit I ordered took about 3 weeks to get to my house, I was surprised at how much work was done.I would definetly recommend their kits as a step between a lyman gpr and a chambers kit, leaning more to the chambers side.

Back