• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.54 smoothie vs. .62?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psyptak

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been told the .54 cal smoothie is gaining popularity over the .62 as I'm being told it is more accurate with a round ball. Any thoughts? Thanks

I don't know why it would be any more accurate. What does accuracy gain you? Range. And what does a round ball shooting muzzleloader need to be effective at longer ranges? More massive/larger balls.

It would have economy going for it. Less lead and powder.

PS - Most smoothes in that range are 0.56 cal (28 bore)

Paul Syptak said:
I have been told the .54 cal smoothie is gaining popularity over the .62 as I'm being told it is more accurate with a round ball. Any thoughts? Thanks
Never heard that...had both for some time now and each was bought on the basis of it being a smoothbore for shot loads, not bought for the purpose of shooting PRBs...although they each do that very well and offer great versatility as a result.

Well, I don't know what your intended quarry is, but, aside from the fact that the .62 Roundball will certainly pack more punch than the .54 (and certainly be as accurate), I have to say that the most lethal Grouse & Bunny gun I ever had was a little double .410....

Eric

Assuming that the people in 1700s knew what they were doing the bigger is more accurite at longer ranges. Wall guns were the snipper rifle of their day, and they were 1inch or more with long barrels.
http://therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/english_arms/(727).htm a good example. I had the pleasure of seeing one of these at The rifle shoppe, and it looked as good as it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a smoothbore a 0.54 is not going to be more accurate than 0.62, in fact just because the ball is bigger you are more likely to hit what you are aiming at than a smaller caliber. It is just more likely to drop a little quicker.
Bruce

Thanks to all of you for the advice-think i will stick to a .62 if i get a smoothbore

Back