• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Buckeye Carbine question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Years ago Thompson Center made a .50 caliber carbine with a 20" barrel called the Buckeye Carbine. I have search the web high and low trying to find out what the rate of twist is. Would any of you guys know? Thanks!

I've only seen one T/C Buckeye Carbine. It was for sale at an online auction some time ago. Not positive but I think it was an off shoot of a T/C White Mountain Carbine, which had a 1:38 rate of twist in .50 caliber.

Bob

Back in the late 80's T/C made a special run of carbines that were to be "exclusives" for retail outlets like Cabela's and other sporting good stores. It was called the Buckeye Carbine. I guess the stores had to comment to so many. I've heard that they made anywhere from 250 to 600 units (depending on who tells the story). They came with percussion locks, walnut stocks, blued 20" barrels, metal butt plate and (I think) tang sights. They looked kind of like the White Mountain Carbine. I haven't been able to find out if they came with fast twist barrels, like the White Mountain Carbine, or slow twist barrels.

I didn't bother to go through all my TC catalogs because its an easy asumption they were not a catalog item and rather a special run. Instead did a little research...

Buckeye and Buckeye Hunter...
A little research suggests that they were made for Buckeye Sports Center in OH, hence the name and in both round (Buckeye) and octagon (Buckeye Hunter) barrel versions. The numbers offered ran from 250-500 made. From what I could find barrel lengths are listed as both 19" and 20" (a common misconception with TC ML rifles as folks include the breech block when they measure where TC does not), so assuming that error 19" would be right. Twists are suggested as from 1:20, 1:38 to 1:66, so who knows? Also saw them with both open rear sights (mid barrel) and tang peep sights. Easy to see why the peeps would be added with the open rear to front only 9-10" apart.

FWIW

WA

Back