• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunsmith Feedback

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brpc

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am not sure if this the proper place to post this. Has anyone had any dealings with Thomas Raether at "blackpowderstuff"?

It would seem that we need a category to give feedback to our members on gunsmiths and other service providers in this field.

It seems that there is a marked tendency for some (a minority)to over promise and clearly under perform.

Keep in mind "GunSmiths" have to deal with all manner of people.
Some of those people have expectations that are as unrealistic as the promises made.
And haveing been self-employed in a skilled service provided to others, some of those people just won't take no for an answer, so you try the best you can, and then their un-happy. If you stand-up too'm and refuse the work they git ****** and bad mouth ya all over town.
A forum section dedicated to Gunsmith complaints with no option for feed back by the smith wouldn't render anyone much good.

There have been a few threads in the Non-Muzzleloading section about folks that have been down right stolen from and/or had to wait months for parts, :idunno:

AS a buyer and purchasing manager for over 30 years, it is strange to me that most custom MLs are built on conversations and verbal agreements between folks who oft times not even met in person.

A statement of work, bill of materials and list of finishes should be required by both buyer and maker. Neither should be willing to commission a gun with out that basic info. Not to entrap someone and prove they didn't do as promised but to prevent misunderstanding and the delivery of a piece that does not fill expectations. A buyer often buys one custom in a life time. Presumably a builder does at least a couple a year, so he should have a fill in the blank document. 2 Copies both signed.

Suggested info to start:

General styleignition
Lock maker and style
Wood type and grade
LOP, drop, Cast off or on
Barrel (maker, caliber, rifling specs, width, length, taper or swamp, etc)
Furniture
Finish
Engraving
Carving
In Lays
Price
Delivery date estimate.

PICTURES!!!

Another way is the semi custom as from TVM (both).

On 3-4, I bought all of my parts and handed them to builder(s) and said finish it. There were few questions left.

Interesting that this subject should be brought up. I think I'll sit back a while and just follow the thread. :idunno:

Very well put.

As a self employed professional in the service industry for many years I have come to realize that you just cannot please them all, typically the ones you cannot please are selfish and honestly are not worth the time that you invest in their work.
The upside is that there are actually very few of these types out there so the odds are in the providers favor, just a bummer that we end up dealing with them as much as we do.

I see and work for 100+ customers a month with about half of them being return clientel, I deal with alot of personalities, 1 in 30 bug me, 1 in 60 wil have to go someplace else next time as I will refuse their work.

This is why I build spec rifles, I build what I want, if you like it buy it, if not don't, I could really care less.

Life is to short to deal with...... (insert adjective here)

Thanks to everyone that provided feedback.

After reading replies, I think a better way would be to simply inquire if forum members have had any experience (good or bad) with a particular vendor or service provider.

That is exactly what I am now doing:

Has anyone had any past dealings with Thomas Raether at Blackpowderstuff,LLC?

My problem is that he has a cap and ball pistol of mine for refinishing that he said would "take about a two weeks". He has had it since July 2010 and he doesn't answer emails or his phone. It appears that others have had similar negative experiences. I am reading this from another forum. All feedback is negative...none positive.

ebiggs said:
All feedback is negative...none positive.

Pretty much answered your own question. I'd be worried you will ever get your gun back!

Sounds as though the economy may have claimed another, unless the proper research was not done prior to sending this gent the item in question.

Can you do any research for this guy, like earlier posts on sites he may have been involved with to see if there has been a long standing track record of neglect.

:v Is the "smith" in question close enough for a drive over to see about your gun? He may have died, "smiths" have problems as do we all. :v

brpc said:
My problem is that he has a cap and ball pistol of mine for refinishing that he said would "take about a two weeks". He has had it since July 2010 and he doesn't answer emails or his phone.
Why not deal with your problem head on, instead of asking a bunch of strangers what they think? If someone has wronged you, go after them.

You might call City Hall for the town he lives in. See if he still has a business license and is in operation. Then there is the local Chamber of Commerce. As a last resort, call the local police department. They might be able to give you some information as to whether he is still in business, sick, or otherwise. It is worth a few phone calls to say the least. :idunno:

For you, and the other members of the forum - he was alive and responding as late as the first week in January this year.

I ordered 500 .457 round balls on Oct 4 2010. My Paypal account was charged the same day. It took 3 months to receive the order after he charged my account.

That's unacceptable. Period.

"White pages" shows this phone listing for a Thomas C. Raether. It may or may not be the right person. Is this the phone number you've been trying?

Thomas C Raether

612 Bay Shore Dr
Oshkosh, WI 54901-5217

(920) 235-3146

Back