• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Forestock Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Hoskins

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello the Camp
Well I've reached the point in my build of shaping the upper forestock. The gun has a swamped barrel and my question is does the stock follow the barrel profile or is it straight. Peter Alexander's book seems to indicate to follow the profile but it is not clear enough to suit me. Am I reading this right?
Thanks for the advice

Zonie is right. Also, think thin, very, very thin. You should only have about 1/16" of wood sticking out from the side of the barrel and following its contours.

Thin is in. :v

1/16" would slab side it in my opinion. I would say more like an 1/8" with a near knife edge at the top.

I've built a few LRs but am confused as to terminology asre the "forestocks". From the lock forward to the entry pipe is which and from the entry pipe to the muzzle is called what? From the lock to the entry pipe I leave 1/16"-3/32" and from the entry pipe to the muzzle, I leave 1/16" alongside the bbl w/ a slight flare out starting 6" before the muzzlecap. To avoid "slab sidedness", neither forestock should be too deep and that's why thin webs and not leaving too much wood on the bottom of the forestocks is important. Thanks....Fred

This is where I am on my project as well. Even though my rifle appears to be a little slab sided on the forestock area. I feel like I have the entry pipe as deep as possible without going through into the RR channel. As I see it, that is about the only way to cut down on the vertical size of the forestock between the lock area and the RR entry pipe. Other than removing wood from the top but I now have that area where the top edge cuts the barrel flat in half.
Every day that I have a few minutes, I take a little more off trying not to go too far. I have also tried to round the stock a little here to give a little thinner look to it. I have always heard that when you think you're thin enough, take a little more off. Especially for new builders.

I always have the topline of the forestock 1/32"-1/16" below bbl centerline. Also the bottom line of the forestock should reveal 2/3 of the RR and the flat on either side of the RR groove should barely accommodate the RR pipes. In fact, on some LRs I've built, the wood on either side of the RR pipe becomes "feathered out" and this is filed down to form a flat that's below the surface of the wood adjacent to the RR groove. Not saying this is the way to do things, just the way I do it. Good luck....Fred

flehto said:
I've built a few LRs but am confused as to terminology asre the "forestocks". From the lock forward to the entry pipe is which and from the entry pipe to the muzzle is called what? From the lock to the entry pipe I leave 1/16"-3/32" and from the entry pipe to the muzzle, I leave 1/16" alongside the bbl w/ a slight flare out starting 6" before the muzzlecap. To avoid "slab sidedness", neither forestock should be too deep and that's why thin webs and not leaving too much wood on the bottom of the forestocks is important. Thanks....Fred

The upper forestock is from the entry pipe to the muzzle. The lower forestock is from the front of the lock panel to the entry pipe.

If it were up to me though, I would call them the proximal and distal forestock.

Thanks for the info...now my posts can be more specific. Have been building MLers since 1978 and finally had the "gumption' to ask a "stupid" question, anyways to me.....Fred

It's me again, Ethel (remember the song that line is from?)
Thank you one and all for your feedback. Looks like I'm on the right track. Just to contribute to the discussion, Alexander calls the stock areas same as the Prof, lower section =lower forestock and top section=upper forstock. I was plugging away today and trying to inlet the entry pipe. What a b*#%$h. I think it's been the hardest inlet I've done. After I started (and was committed because I cut the wood) I realized the tang was a bit too wide for the narrowness of the lower stock, but I have to go with it now. Guess I'll have to bodge it up somehow.I too have a touch of slab-sideness due to the delicacy of the stock but I will be rolling both the upper and lower to a knife edge at the barrel which should help. Well onwards and upwards, each day a new adventure. No rest for the wicked.
Cheers

Most everybody I've heard says that the tail pipe is the hardest to inlet. Pat yourself on the back!!

I hated inletting the tang on the pipe! its aweful if your not patient!

Here's a "nice one" to inlet......Fred

Bucks46EPS.jpg
//[/img]

Bucks46EPB.jpg
//[/img]

oh my, that looks like fun! Well maybe when I build up some more skill anyway! :surrender:

Back