• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Make And Install Bridle -- Worth It?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Smith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I really like my Jukar CVA short Kentucky-like rifle. It's accurate.

The barrel is a bit rough and I was thinking about replacing it, but don't want to kill the accuracy that the barrel has, so I figure I'll keep it.

Was going to replace the lock, but I'd want a barrel to match the quality of a new lock.

If I replaced the lock and barrel, I might as well replace the stock. Then I'd have built a new rifle and could reassemble the Jukar :rotf:

Not really what I have in mind.

However, I've read that the Spanish locks without the bridles tend to be a bit weak, wearing excessively.

Been looking at the tumbler, and it would not be hard at all to install a stud for a bridle.

The bridle itself I could custom make. I make extractors and things for centerfire guns of mine all the time.

The question is, is the rest of the lock worth it? I've not yet figured a way to put a fly in the tumbler, though I'm sure it's possible. Not sure it's necessary though.

Anyway, what do you think: Would it be worth it to install a bridle on a Jukar's lock?

Thanks,

Josh

That would depend on how much your time is worth. If the lock works now, shoot it until it breaks. Then replace the whole lock with what you want. :idunno:

I don't think the tumbler has a journal on the outside to engage a bridle.
Without this journal the bridle would not be able to support the outer end of the tumbler.

I'm sure the tumbler is hardened so machining it might be a bit of a chore but anything's possible.

As for a fly, unless your triggers are Double Set Double Lever style the lock doesn't need one.
If you decide to install a Double Set trigger using a Single Lever design would work and it would not need a fly in the lock.

That said, for some of us just working on a gun to try to improve it is a worthwhile thing, even if the gun isn't worth all of the effort.

Making a new part and having it work out like it was intended is satisfying regardless of the guns real value so IMO if you want to design a bridle for your lock and you can figure out how to make it work, go for it.

The bridle will provide stability to the tumbler to help reduce wear that the tumbler axle creates on the tumbler channel through the lock plate. It takes a long time for that to wear enough to affect the locks function. That being said, I had bought a used CVA Sharpshooter that had that exact problem and it creates enough drag to impede the firing of the cap. I ended up having to buy a new lock. I would say yes, install a bridle, especially since you have the gunsmithing abilities. The additional tumbler stability may also improve the trigger pull.I wouldn't worry about trying to convert it to a double set trigger.

I find my horse handles much better with a briddle, the wife doesn't seem to be helped by attempting to put a bridle on her! :surrender: :surrender:
I have found the tumblers on CVAs to be not very hard so drilling and putting in a pin would be reasonable. The pin would then fit your bridle and greatly improve the life of your lock.I also recommend rehardening the tumbler when you have the lock dissambled to work on installing the briddle. :hmm:

the wife doesn't seem to be helped by attempting to put a bridle on her!
Is she saddle broke? Maybe give up on the bridle and just grab a good handfull of mane to get her to go where you want.

Mike Brines said:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!"
If you want to make locks and parts, do it from scratch or with a set of castings. Putting good time into a cheap, badly designed lock is only doable for one reason: you just want to.

Zonie said:
I don't think the tumbler has a journal on the outside to engage a bridle.
Without this journal the bridle would not be able to support the outer end of the tumbler.

I'm sure the tumbler is hardened so machining it might be a bit of a chore but anything's possible.

As for a fly, unless your triggers are Double Set Double Lever style the lock doesn't need one.
If you decide to install a Double Set trigger using a Single Lever design would work and it would not need a fly in the lock.

That said, for some of us just working on a gun to try to improve it is a worthwhile thing, even if the gun isn't worth all of the effort.

Making a new part and having it work out like it was intended is satisfying regardless of the guns real value so IMO if you want to design a bridle for your lock and you can figure out how to make it work, go for it.

Hi Zonie,

This particular tumbler has a threaded hole drilled clear through for the hammer screw.

I was thinking I could turn down and thread a piece of drill rod to make a journal.

Sounds to me like it might work...

ChrisPer said:
Mike Brines said:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!"
If you want to make locks and parts, do it from scratch or with a set of castings. Putting good time into a cheap, badly designed lock is only doable for one reason: you just want to.

I have modern gunsmithing abilities, and am learning the old-tymey locks.

I always start slowly, then speed up as I get more brave :thumbsup:

Probably will be building locks before long. Depends on the market, whether it's worth my time.

Would I need a gun manufacturer's license to make these as I would to make a part for another person's smokeless arm?

Thanks,

Josh

I have been making and repairing ML's for over fourty years and have never been questioned about a license! State (Ohio )or Federal . But I make it clear I only work on traditional ML's. :hmm:

Back