• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What is best way to clean rig grease out of bore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
I still have a few ounces of the "real stuff" sperm whale oil. And it compares very well to the synthetic that Dixie sells right down to the smell. I like the synthetic for for a patch lube but like the real stuff it isn't that great of a rust preventive compared to several petrolium based oils. :hmm:

Denatured Alcohol, Kerosene, petroleum distillate, and Acetone[in addition to other solvents] all will work to clean RIG out of your barrel after long storage. Kerosene is still the cheapest, but many people already have a petroleum distillate cleaner for their modern guns( Hoppes #9, among others). I read somewhere that brake cleaner is actually Acetone- but Have not verified this myself.

Be careful around all these products, and use them in a well-ventilated location. Avoid inhaling fumes. None of these products is good for your lungs. :surrender: :hmm: :thumbsup:

I would definitely go with denatured alcohol. It leaves zero residue, will not hurt the stock of the rifle, and can be used indoors because it evaporates immediately leaving very little odor.

It would be good to open a window though, as the amount you would need to use would generate plenty of vapor!

ohio ramrod said:
I still have a few ounces of the "real stuff" sperm whale oil. And it compares very well to the synthetic that Dixie sells right down to the smell. I like the synthetic for for a patch lube but like the real stuff it isn't that great of a rust preventive compared to several petrolium based oils. :hmm:

It's been so long since I used it that I do not remember about the rust preventive qualities (or lack thereof), but I do remember it was darn good for lubing patches.

I like a little alchohol or most any solvent just go lightly so as not to have a boo boo on the stock finish, also when lubing for storage or even just after cleaning I think little is better thna a lot as long as adequate coverage is obtained. I use the same principal with patch lube, just a little (enough) on one side.

There are a couple of products put out by Rig. I figure that you mean Rig Universal R-103 grease which I only use for very long storage.
(Like going away to the Marianas for 2 years...)

For that, I use cheap rubbing alcohol on a couple of patches followed by a couple of dry ones. Rig is not that hard to remove.

I actually like their Rig 2 Sportsmans Oil Lubricant best for MLs. Great stuff, but hard to find. Track had it a while back but it shows that it is a long wait now.

CS

Thanks to all for your input - I ordered a 3 oz jar of the RIG Universal Grease from TOTW.

Back