• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Western Nationals In Phoenix

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you who are not members of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association but may be in the neighborhood the Western National Shoot starts next Wed, March 2 and runs thru March 7th, 2011.

It will be held at the Ben Avery shooting range about 25 miles North of Phoenix on I-17.

The range is West of I-17 at exit 223 (Carefree Highway)

Shooting time is from 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM Wed. thru Sunday with awards given at 9:00 AM Monday.

From what I read in another post about this event there may be fewer vendors there this year but I'm sure there will be enough of them to provide some good stuff.

Watching muzzleloading shotguns break clay pigeons, rifle shooters shoot silhouettes and running boar and tomahawk throwing is always fun.

This is our cool damp season so the temperatures should be in the mid to upper 60's with lows in the low 40's. A chance of rain but these storms don't usually last long.

Hope to see you folks out there. :)

Zonie,

The Western Shoot is a nice event held at a world class place, I wish we had such a place in Texas.
Each year the Ben Avery Range gets better.

This will be my fourth year to attend and from what I hear, this will be the 20th year of the shoot.

There may not be as many vendors as at some point in time, but the folks are nice who are there. I do not drive 1000 miles and spend our money to be miserable and to attend a poor event.

Zoney, any shopping recommendations for the women folk and for evening dining in that area?

Thanks

RDE

I am not Zonie, but, my wife likes the Arizona Mills Mall off of Baseline...I-10 E exit 155 in Tempe,az.

p

poordevil,

Thank you, we normally make a trip out of the Phoenix shoot on the way home for the wife, this time it will be quick trip and I am looking for things to do in the Phoenix area while we are there each afternoon and evening.

We like Arizona and New Mexico, but this is a rush trip due to drought conditions where we live and we need to get home to haul water to our cows and get hay to them.

I am trying hard to entertain my wife while at the shoot, so she has a nice time after I shoot each day. Any entertainment for her is a help.

Thank you

RDE

If she hasn't been there and she is interested in history she might enjoy traveling about 1 3/8 miles north of the Carefree turnoff on I-17 to the Pioneer Arizona Living History Museum for a look around. It's just North of the mountain you are shooting into on the West side of I-17. There's an underpass to get to it from the Northbound highway.

This North area is still pretty empty unless you get 15+ miles South of Avery's and it isn't my usual stomping ground but here's something that might interest her:

About 23 miles South of the Carefree turnoff just South of Peoria Ave on the West side of I-17 is Metrocenter, a large shopping center with many different kinds of stores in it.
All women like shopping centers. :grin:

Richard Eames said:
Zonie,

The Western Shoot is a nice event held at a world class place, I wish we had such a place in Texas.
Each year the Ben Avery Range gets better.

Surprising that Texas as big as it is, and Gun friendly as it is don't have a it own version of a Ben Avery.

This will be my fourth year to attend and from what I hear, this will be the 20th year of the shoot.

Could be the 20th year but you should have come in the early years, as the number of traders, shooters, and just about everything was bigger.

Honestly I think the NMLRA Brass (BOD) who most live on the other side of the USA, treat the Western Shoot like an after thought.

There may not be as many vendors as at some point in time, but the folks are nice who are there. I do not drive 1000 miles and spend our money to be miserable and to attend a poor event.

Zoney, any shopping recommendations for the women folk and for evening dining in that area?

Thanks

RDE

So what Kind of shopping you looking for High End, go to Scottsdale, or the Baltimore Area by 24th St. & Camelback. Or travel East on the Carefree Highway to Cave Creek for some nice assortment of high end to local crafts. Just bring money, and or you plastic.

All three area have great restaurants, and are within 30-45 minute drive at a max from Ben Avery.

What kind of entertainment is she looking for? El Pedrigal is nearby on 74, just go east till it dead ends, you're looking at the parking lot. It's a high end yuppie place. North on 17 just a few miles is a large outlet mall. Go south on 17 to the 101 an you can go east to Desert Ridge or West to Arrowhead. Both are newer and nicer than Metro-Center. Also, personally, I would avoid Metro-Center, especially after dark. 30 years ago it was a nice part of town, nowadays it can real rough, real fast. :hatsoff:

Metro Center is like the man said to be stayed away from, best place to get your ride ripped off in the Valley.

Wickenburg is an Old West Town 30-40 West of Ben Avery, Carefree Highwat to US 60 West, and their Cowboy Museum is like 7-10 bucks admission and work the trip.

Weather in the Valley has been strange this year, now over nights still in 40's, and it may rain this weekend. Next weeks weather says clear, but rain could show up again. Day time high have been very nice in the 60's - 70's.

Hi Richard :hatsoff:

Good to see your name on here again. You do some good shooting at the Winter Nationals for me. :grin: Wish I could get there sometime, maybe next year? :hmm: Say hi to my shooting buddy, Lou Heilsel and his wife Lynn. You will find them on the pistol line. :thumbsup:

Take care, see ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

Well you are coming at the right time, weather is projected to be DRY, and Warm with highs in the 70's Low in the upper 40's. Last Weekend the Valley got a Major Rain Storm, and the desert should come to life with spring flowers.

Back